high level cold water tank in loft

Hi I've got to gain space in our small bedroom so I want to put the hot water tank in the loft, how high above the top of the hot water tank should the water surface of the cold water tank be. Has anybody got any links to sites with cold water tanks which will fit high up in the ridge - I've googled but can't find anything. Any advice welcome - ps can't afford to change from the current open vented system ATM

Reply to
NikV

Have the kitchen tap off the mains. For the hot and cold water for the rest of the house use one of these, as it fits nicely in the loft.

can take the shower off it The cold taps can be taken off it and the hot taps too giving good mixing at the basins and bath. It is heated from a normal system boiler. It is less than 6 foot high and takes about the same amount of space as Megaflow. What is gives is high flow at atmospheric pressures. All the taps, except the shower mixer are low pressure. The kitchen mixer has to be high pressure cold low pressure hot.

Cheap and highly effective, no cold tanks or high pressure cylinders that may blow up and needing 28mm blow-off pipes. It can go in the loft out of the way.

Then, when money is available, best to buy a condensing combi and only have the shower off the combi water section to give a high pressure mains fed shower. The shower is the only draw-off that requires high pressure, the rest need "flow". The CH part of the combi will be the same as a normal system with 3-way valve heating the cylinder and the radiators.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you certain about that?

There are no mention of boiler connections and none are shown....

This one obviously is though...

Andy Hall

Have a look at Polytank

will need to come up with a substantial way to support the weight of course.

The feed pipe and the vent pipes should both be plumbed in 28mm to avoid air being sucked down the vent pipe when water is drawn off.

With shallow tanks of this type, it is a good idea to use a Torbeck valve rather than regular ball valve. The reason is that the level rises very slowly and a regular valve will trickle for a long time and may be noisy. The Torbeck shuts off positively when the level is reached.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try a google for "coffin" tanks. They are shaped as you'd expect with a name like that. I've got one as there wasn't room for a conventional tank.

The surface of the water in my cold tank is about four feet above the top of the hot water tank but I don't know what the minimum is, just that it is presumably less than this.

In fact, other than it being positive is there any minimum value and, if so, why ?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

It's the sort of thing your local plumber's merchant should be able to help with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep.

An indirect version can be specified, with either Part L or quick recovery coil. Use one of these where you would use a Megaflow and have a combi only do the shower for high pressures and this is a very cheap way of having high pressure showers (from the mains), high flows to baths and low pressure mixing. So, if your mains pressure is 4 Bar it is quite cheap as no £500 4 bar shower pump is required. No annual invented service call, and no high pressures, that wear out tap washers, ect. Combis are about the same price as system boiler, so no expensive power shower pumps. Can go anywhere a Megflow can, as long as it is above the highest draw-off, excepting the shower.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What he needs is a combi cylinder. I gave the link.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What a soild bit of senile advice

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not mentioned on their web site that I could see. Do you have a reference for that and the price?

That is rather overstating it.

The combi/shower is 1900mm high vs. the 2050mm of the formpak

The footprint is larger at 800x600 than the 500mm of the combi/shower, but it would be surprising if that were an issue in an attic able to accommodate the height since way more than this floor area would be implied.

All of which is somewhat academic since the question really suggested a coffin tank as the solution, since this will have the least cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why ? What advantage would that give him over a standard hot water cylinder and a coffin tank both placed in the loft ?

To something that may well be very useful when living somewhere with no loft but may not be best for the OP especially when it's likely to be more expensive (assuming the existing hot cylinder can be re-used)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Contact them. Price? A long time ago but it was cheaper than a Megaflow. The combi was the same price as a system boiler. The water section of the combi just replaced a noisy space taking power shower pump, and saved money again, giving a higher pressure shower.

No. Just look at the sizes. It is a cylinder that is les that 6 foot high and quite slim too.

The formpack is bulky that is clear. Look at the picture of both next to each other. The combi/shower is also heavily insulated all over and looks far neater than a frame with a rank and cylinder.

The combi/shower is easy to fit. No assembling.

You don't know if that is the solution at all. The great thing about the combi/shower is that is can be fitted and when the boiler goes, a combi is bought for the shower.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have used cheaper combi cylinders, with smaller tanks, "and " the cold water was taken off the combi tank too by cutting a hole in it us fitting a tabk connector. Most using combi cylinders have the cold off the mains. I ran a 22mm cold water mains pipe to the combi cylinder (somnetimes called a Fortric). A 3/4" brass ballcock was fitted, so the fill up was very fast.

Look at it this way. An unvented cylinder is a mains pipe in and a hot draw-off out. This method is the same except it has an air break in the mains pipe. It can still take the full flow of the mains pipe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why should I? You made the assertion. You justify it.

I would hope it would be.

I did look at the sizes and not at the pictures.

It's a cut and paste job.

Really?

From the original post...

"Has anybody got any links to sites with cold water tanks which will fit high up in the ridge - I've googled but can't find anything."

Please explain how the combi/shower fits that description as well as the desire for minimum cost.

That would assume suitability of a combi for the application.

How is the hind leg collection coming along? You should have enough to feed the entire tower block fairly soon....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, you mean you don't want one?

A picture say a 1000 words.

You are making that up.

Yep.

Many type of combi available

** snip Mattness **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What's 'soild', shit for brains?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Glad you've ignored dribble's attempt to waste your money. Pay careful attention to the pipe runs using a pipe bender rather than elbows to minimise flow restriction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** snip senility **
Reply to