high level cistern

Hello,

I wondered what the group's opinions on high level cisterns were? Does the increased height improve the flush? Or is the height a disadvantage when it comes to repairs, e.g. replacing the diaphragm? Do most people think they look better or worse than low level cisterns?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Definitely. I have a modern high level (so minimal water as per regs). It flushes *very* well. Unlike almost every low level modern cistern.

I do not think there's much in it visually. Modern ones look pretty sleek. As for repairs, stand on some small steps.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Definitely. Plus, in my bathroom there was a window in the way so the cistern had to go high up.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

High level flushes definitely work better if a bit more noisily.

Low level ones are just a matter of appearance and you don't need a chain to operate them.

Ease of access depends on space left above the cistern.

Reply to
harryagain

"harryagain" wrote in news:lg8reu$i6c$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If it is upstairs then what about the loft? It adds nothing positive to the bathroom by having a tank of water on show!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You'd have to cut a hole in the ceiling for the operating mechanism

Reply to
charles

Hello,

Do you want one? I think there is one in my shed unless my son has taken it without me noticing.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Unless you can rig up some electrical device - push-button and solenoid, maybe - to flush it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If it's one of the remote air-pressure operated type, you could run the pipes in a conduit up the wall ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Many people box them in (I personally don't like that) but I would prefer to go for a loft mounted cistern using a remote triggering mechanism - or even an automatic flush (infra red). The bowl could be moved further back thus giving more floor space.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Some of the Victorian/Edwardian cisterns were fairly ornate and almost works of art compared to most of the boring white finish tanks used now. There were even glass panelled ones which in some public toilets the attendants kept goldfish in. No goldfish but some of the glass cisterns remain here,

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news:n4khi9pa30drjoi793h8rjroib733pv8cs@

4ax.com:

Looking at the photos makes me wonder - at what point was it decided that men's urinals did not need modesty / splash screens? Some toilets are so badly designed that you can be having a pee next to a hand drier.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news:n4khi9pa30drjoi793h8rjroib733pv8cs@

I'm sure these wall hung things were developed by women, or men that never wear light coloured trousers!

I never did perfect the art of avoiding splash back when pissing in them.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Thanks, I am tempted to get one now.

Reply to
Stephen

Ker...lunk....wooossshhhh....

A sound of my childhood, before we went all posh with our new bathroom and ripped out the Victorian plumbing, the bathroom suite of which would be worth a fcking fortune now. I have an eye locally on a kerlunkwoosh cast iron bell cistern if I can ever getarountooit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Isn't the hand dryer next to the urinal supposed to dry off the splashes on your light coloured trousers?

Reply to
polygonum

Best flusher I ever saw or used was a "modern" installation of a fairly standard high level cistern with a repro Victoriana bowl. The bowl was unusual as it was symmetrical - almost like a cone. So the flush water, coming from its great height with loads of kinetic, swirled round vigorously in one direction, and anything in the bowl disappeared in very short order.

Reply to
polygonum

My uncle had one, and for all I know, it's still in "his" house but he's dead and the house sold (but unoccupied). A different flushing action from more modern diaphragm syphonic flush mechanisms but you had to admire the simplicity and lack of things to go wrong.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I still have an old chain flush in a shed outside. The mechanism is more complicated than would appear. Since the downpipe to the toilet is open, why doesn't the siphon just suck air up the pipe instead of lifting water over the top of the pipe? The answer seems to be that the bottom end of the downpipe actually has a water trap in it. And why doesn't the water just keep siphoning? Because there is a tiny hole half way down the bell, to let air in. The Korean tilers tiling the house next door could never work out how to flush it. They would pull the chain up and down many times, getting it into a state where it would continuously flush for hours until I went around to stop it. I was tempted to put up a sign that said "To flush, pull chain once and let it go". But I don't think they could speak English.

Reply to
MattyF