Hiding screws with taper edge plasterboard

Following on from a previous post I'm still at the prep stage of replacing my kitchen ceiling. To try and avoid the expense of getting a plasterer in I'm going to have a go at using taper edge boards and fill/sand the joins (if it turns out poo I can always get the pro in)

Apologies if this is a stupid question but how do I go about hiding the screw heads in the middle of a board. All the posts I've seen here say to try and avoid tearing the paper but presumably if I screw deep enough to hide the screw head then this will be unavoidable. Do I just whack the screws in and cover with a little filler or is there some other technique that you use.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim, You should be able to get the screws in so the head sits just under the surface without doing too much damage. I'm no pro and I did a good job on this first time round - careful setting of the clutch on your screwdriver does the trick. You'll still need to cover with a little joint filler. R.

Reply to
Reuben_D

Yes and you can buy a little collet that fits on to the end of a drive bit to stop the screw going in to far. Martin

Reply to
Housemartin

Actually quite a good question ;-)

Use the shrouded bits and the correct bugle headed screws and you will find they set themselves just below the surface of the board, but without tearing the paper surface. You can then fill them as you fill the tapered joints. (here is another area where screws outperform nails - the screw head acts as a key to hold the filler in place.

Reply to
John Rumm