Hiding boiler inside kitchen units.

We have a large wall-mounted Worcester Bosch Greenstar condensing combination boiler in our kitchen. The flue exits at 90 degrees, directly above the boiler.

We're about to have a brand new kitchen fitted (see other post) and would like to disguise the boiler in some way. It's not particularly convenient to move the boiler.

Is it legal to conceal the boiler like this?

How much access does an engineer need at the side of a boiler?

What does the group recommend? A cupboard? Or board it up complete? Louvre doors?

Reply to
JP Coetzee

I've just done similar by hanging one of the doors over the front of the boiler. Fit's in perfectly with the rest of the kitchen, but I have to say that I only had the minimum specification gap between the boiler and the wall/unit.

Reply to
Brett Jackson

Yep.

All kitchen companies have a special boiler cupboard with open top and bottom. It is usually about an inch or so deeper than the rest.

Reply to
IMM

In message , JP Coetzee writes

Check the specs for the boiler. It should have pretty clear installation / acceptable clearance / airflow etc guidelines.

Some manufacturers are producing boilers specifically to fit inside a standard "under worktop kitchen cupboard". On the basis that these are designed specially for it, I would want to be absolutely sure that a boiler not specifically designed for this is happy.

Hth Bill

Reply to
invalid

This is on a per boiler basis. However, a Greenstar can be concealed with no additional ventilation required.

If you look at

allows "ventilation free" compartment installation. You must have 100mm clearance to the sides, 200mm to the bottom and 30mm above the flue. The problem is that the casing is 440mm wide, requiring a rather odd (and large)

640mm cupboard width.

However, I suspect this might be a typo, as elsewhere, 10mm is the required width clearance, allowing a much more standard 500mm unit to be used. I would suggest phoning their technical helpline for confirmation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I forgot to answer this bit. It would be best to use a standard kitchen cupboard and your matching kitchen cupboard door.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

> It allows "ventilation free" compartment installation. You must have 100mm

Thats interesting - our boiler (a 24i junior from the same manufacturer) is mounted quite high on the wall (above head height) and so you can see all the wires and stuff inside as the unit doesnt have a base - not very pretty. I never thought about putting a cupboard around it, but it might be answer and make the boxing in of the pipes a bit neater (especially as the safety valve pipe is about 2" off the wall). How does the unit get a good supply of fresh air in an enclosed cupboard - is it just enough that the cupboard isnt airtight?

The manufacturer states for the current 24i Junior model, 25mm to the sides,

30mm from the flue top (180mm from boiler casing top) and 200mm below. No compartment ventilation required.

It comes through the concentric flue system, which supplies fresh air for combustion and cooling as well as providing a route for the exhaust gases.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah I see - so the clearances are just to prevent heat buildup in the cupboard I guess.

Our flue top actually touches the ceiling as it turns to go horizontally out the wall which I was a bit concerned about - but I guess it must be ok as it was fitted by a bloke who works for worcester! (makes decorating a bit of a pig though)

thanks

Dave.

It's mostly so you can still get the case off easily.

Some boilers do require space for heat buildup reasons, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

WE did that and they confirmed that 100mm is required.

Many thanks for all your help.

Reply to
JP Coetzee