Hi vis checking

I wonder if there's a law dictating how much reflectivity a hivis jacket should have. Can you get into trouble if it's too muddy?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I wonder if there's a law dictating how much reflectivity a hivis jacket should have. Can you get into trouble if it's too muddy?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Yes. BS EN 1150 and BS EN 471

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not forgetting GO/RT 3279:2012

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bur dog-walkers and psychologists (?) don't stand in front of a piece of fence on a pavement, waving people away.

Reply to
Davey

How many psychologists does it take to mend a hole in the ground? [1]

Owain

[1] I don't know - you'll have to supply your own punchline.
Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Psycholists, as in cyclists. The ones with the bright green (or pink sometimes) shirts, a learner's helmet as they think they're going to fall off, and bright flashing headlights (which I'm sure should be illegal). If one approaches me with one of those, I flash my car headlights back at him.

Maybe the people thought there was a burst gas main.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I wonder if there's a law dictating how much reflectivity a hivis jacket should have. Can you get into trouble if it's too muddy?

It's more about how safe *you* feel if it were covered in shyte really...

Mt Hi-Vis is caked in hydraulic oil, grease and mud, always gets comments from "Others" who feel H & S means moaning about the state of it.

It's *MY* Hi-Vis and if I want it covered in shyte then so be it!

Reply to
Nthkentman

If a car crashed into you it would slide off, reducing the injury level.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Agreed on all points. Those flashing lights can be downright confusing.

There was nothing except him and the fence, so no indication of any reason for the interruption.

Reply to
Davey

I heard once that the flashing rear cycle lights were illegal, although everyone seems to have them now.

I don't tend to pay attention to hivis people.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Seems foolballers are adopting hi-viz too

Maybe orange ones to indicate bite-hazard?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, just the driver. Spain is all occupants, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Not according to the current state of the AA website, still only one required. (And no longer required that motorcyclists and pillion riders wear them:

Alan Braggins

I find wearing clothes embarrassing. It's absurd that people have come to believe the naked human body is somehow wrong.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Dogs get attention anyway because they're cute and cuddly.

Only wimps are scared of electricity.

I have said many times that I replaced two of the fuses with plug in breakers, as I wanted them to trip faster when a halogen bulb blew, so it didn't break my PIR auto-switches.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Dogs, people in hivis jackets, or dogs in hivis jackets?

So you only practise common sense in private.

I don't have them any more, as the lights are connected to the UPS that runs my computer (which is an effort to stop the LED bulbs dying so soon, as I have a rather high mains voltage of 253 volts). But the UPS also buzzes. There might be a breaker inside it I guess, or something using the same part that buzzes. It'll stop when I get round to disconnecting the old ballast fluorescent unit....

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I knew some one who was killed walking along a country road at night. He wouldn't have been wearing hi-viz or even just an arm band retro-reflector.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

confusing.

I thought that as well and until 23rd Oct 2005 they were and you had to have approved steady lights as well. But now you can use just flashing lights provided they flash between 60 and 240/min and at least 4 candela.

The rear flashing ones are rarely bright enough to dazzle. What really annoys me are the steady 6 W+ LED front lights that some cyclist plonkers use. If they where adjusted like a dipped headlight they would be fine but a) I don't think they have the cut off and b) the plonkers aim 'em at the on coming traffic "to be seen". If I get dazzled, have little choice but to fire up my main beams to try and penetrate the gloom...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mostly people in night clubs, they don't normally allow dogs in night clubs, although I suppose guide dogs could be allowed. I've seen lots of glow sticks too.

No, I do it in public too, unless H&S take over. The problem then arrises what do I do when legaly you're instructed in writing not to do something and then some self confesssed DIY expert tells you you can ignore the documents you've been given.

Reply to
whisky-dave