Hi-Fi to PC

I don't actually often set levels as such. The peak level on LPs is pretty consistent. And all the other sources on my main Hi-Fi system are matched as close as I can get them. Although Freeview are trying my patience between TV and radio ;-)

My soundcard software boots to a preset level and I've matched the balanced to unbalanced amp to that. I don't peak any digital recording to full scale in good broadcasting fashion.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The purpose of the Rs is to act as a voltage divider. It doesnt matter if the amp sees 220 ohms or 32. Putting an R from C to D would not achieve the goal.

Ah, my bad: should be from E to D!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But you have already paid for that licence. If I buy a CD or vinyl record I am entitled to make a copy of it for personal use only.

As for download quality being crap, your not serious are you? Any stuff I have ever downloaded has been top notch. I certainly couldn't tell the difference.

Reply to
Yeh But No But

Since when?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Are you sure about that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since the days of tape recorders.

Reply to
Yeh But No But

Er, so why have the 22R from B to D?

However it does provide approximately the correct load for the amp which is expecting to drive a lo Z with current, rather than a hi Z with voltage.

F to D possibly, but I'm now confused. I think you need to come in again. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think you might find you're wrong there.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

matters further, copying is not always infringing. If the work is not copyrighted, if you have a license to make the copy, or if the work is in the public domain, you can copy at will. Also, not all "copies" are the same. Say you buy a CD and play it on your computer -- technically, you have already made a "copy" onto the PC in the process of playing it, but that's not an infringement.

Making an archive copy is okay too, as long as your retain the original. What about a transformative copy -- say, making an MP3 out of a CD? You can do that, so long as you retain the original work. If the original CD get scratched, damaged or lost, you can probably burn the MP3 back to a CD (sans the really "sucky" titles), but this is not entirely clear.

Reply to
Yeh But No But

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sorry never noticed that. But I still stand by my original statement. I know the law isn't black and white in this department. If it is illegal to copy your own purchased music, does that make everyone that owns an ipod / MP3 player liable to prosecution unless they are listening to paid for MP3 tracks that they only have on their MP3 player?

Reply to
Yeh But No But

Yes, but if you want the same music on a new medium you have to pay again. In full. Unless you know otherwise...

I don't know that you're "entitled", but certainly making a copy for personal use is generally regarded as an acceptable thing to do. But downloading the same music isn't the same as making a copy.

Yes, I'm serious. Perhaps "crap" was a bit OTT but the quality *is* poor. You wouldn't notice it on an iPod or your normal PC sound card and speakers, but put it through several grand's worth of audiophile equipment and the difference is obvious. Or so I believe - I've never done it myself.

Downloads are compressed. You can compress CD-quality sound files by a factor of two to three without changing the sound. To achieve more compression you have to throw some of the sound away. AIUI downloads are normally compressed by a factor of about nine, so that should give you an idea of how much information is discarded in the compression process. Again, I'm no expert, so those figures are just approximate, but they should give you an idea of what I meant.

Aggressive compression makes music quicker to download, easier to store, and easier on your iPod battery life. I've yet to hear of a major online music store offering CD-quality sound (not that I've looked very hard). That's because few people would want it. It would take about 10Mb for one standard 4-minute song, so downloads would take a long time, and your 60Gb iPod would wouldn't take 15,000 songs, it would take 6,000, and the battery life would be considerably shortened. If you want top- notch quality, buy a CD, and use that (or a copy of it on your PC) for home listening. Make a compressed copy of it for use in your iPod.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

ASCII art diagram, please ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I realise it should be straightforward but I find that getting the instructions wrutten by someone who has done it successfully (and well) is better than from someone who only knows how it should work. As a matter of interest: which machine & which card?

Reply to
Qercus editor

The A9s aren't that expensive!

Well-used A7000s and A5000s and &c are still going strong here whenever I check - along with well used RiscStation, RiscPC & A9. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Alas the UK law is black and white, and it does not allow for format converting etc. Unlike US law which enshrines the concept of archival copies etc. It does allow for time shifting TV programs providing the material is not kept long term (i.e. over two weeks IIRC).

Logically most people feel justified in making copies of material for which they have purchased a "license" - but there is no defense in law for doing so IIUC (IANAL and all that).

Legally yes it does.

The reality is a little more pragmatic, latitude will usually be shown by the copyright holders for converting to MP3 for personal use - not for any altruistic reasons, just that historically it has been impossible to enforce any form of control on these activities. Note however they are foisting DRM onto everyone at any time they can, and this will remove these capabilities.

UK copyright law does allow for "Fair use" copying - but this is usually limited to copying up to 10% of a copyrighted work for the purposes of review, or criticism etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lots of the stuff available for download is encoded at only 128kbit/s and as a result is crap (compared to a CD anyway).

Reply to
John Rumm

*oops. ;-(
Reply to
Qercus editor

SA RPC with an Irlam i16

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thought you of all people on here should know how to drive Pluto...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)