Hi-Fi to PC

forget about 'impedance matching'. You just need a voltage divider.

There are 6 connection points:

A: hifi headphone plug outer / ground B: hifi headphone plug middle / left signal C: hifi headphone plug tip / right signal

D: PC jackplug outer / ground E: PC jackplug middle / left signal F: PC jackplug tip / right signal

Now, connect A to D. Connect B to a 220 ohm resistor, connect other end of this to E. Connect a 22 ohm resistor from B to D. Connect C to a 220 ohm resistor, connect other end of this to F. Connect a 22 ohm resistor from F to D.

Now you'll get good quality recordings. Parts cost < =A31.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Mark

And for getting both channels free from distortion, you can see the spikes on this program, although it might be a bit teccy for you?

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think the last one should be C to D, so that the headphone amp "sees" a

22 ohm load on it's right output, like the left does. B-) I'm not going to argue about the values but most "walkman" headphones are a nominal 35 ohm so I'd be tempted to use a 39 ohm resistor for the C>D and B>D ones.

It might be worth pointing out for ease of construction that A could be substituted for D.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you own the original could you not just download the CD as apposed to buying it?

Reply to
Yeh But No But

Mike, I have many mono LPs from years back of which there are no CDs available, I have searched more times than I care to remember.

Regards Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

Thankyou Mark, I may well give it a trial just to familiarise myself with what is required in a full programme. Regards Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

OK so that was a generally broadcast private e-mail. Sorry Dave! The rest of you should note that the fees are too small to make it worth while pestering Dave to get in a round of drinks should we ever have a group 'meet'. ;-(

Reply to
Qercus editor

Not for my machine, there's not. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What - how to record audio from an external source and burn a CD from it on an Acorn? There's no special tricks needed - just a sound card and supplied software, and a CD burner with CDBurn. WavEdit etc if you wish to make tracks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless the LPs are truly awful I'm not convinced these 'clean up' progs work well. They may well remove some of the noise but remove ambience (for want of a better word) too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can add MrBacon to that list as well...he's so tight, when he takes his trousers off its sounds like velcro. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd always thought it was 32 ohms. Any advance?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

them handy (and so that you can put the valuable old records in a safer storage.)

that I am experienced by any means. I got it from a parallel thread: "Old 78 & 33 rpm records to CD" on alt.windows-xp

CD and DVD storage is not what you migh be expecting it to be. Pressed disks are obviously good in any media but stuff written onto dyed inner surfaces are not the same. Here is a discussion about file strorage in business and at home on APC mag:

"Finally, there's long-term storage. Just as individuals fill up the space available to them, so to do companies. However, businesses don't just back up their data when they need to clear space, they do it every day to protect it -get a copy off the servers and stored somewhere safe. And guess what? They don't use optical media. CDs and DVDs have never taken off as a serious storage option for businesses, due to the understanding that they won't last.

Magnetic tape media has been the weapon of choice for a long time - each tape guaranteed for hundreds of thousands of read/writes, equating in real time to well beyond 20 years, often much longer.

And yes, each tape is far more expensive than blank optical media. And tape drives are hideously expensive too. And intelligent backup software would require a personal loan. So we come full circle to the nub of the problem -high-capacity, average-quality storage for ordinary users is plentiful, accessible and cheap. Reliable, long-term storage is none of these things.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Ah, I see - missed that bit! I know someone who would probably write some for it if you could get him suitably annoyed by the lack of it :) What Acorn are you using?

Reply to
Richard Conway

It's *setting* the proper level that's the problem. Tedious doesn't begin to describe it.

Not only the track index points but the names and artist(s), if you're interested in (for instance) making further use of your efforts by downloading to an iPod or similar.

That's more-or-less what I meant. Copying a CD is a doddle in comparison. Unfortunately the OP has a non-mainstream collection.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Unfortunately not, AFAIK - record companies don't work like that, you have to pay full whack all over again. Also download quality is crap compared with a CD. I'm no expert and I'd be delighted if someone told me I was wrong on either or both points.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It rather depends on what you call "long term". USB hard disks are pretty cheap and reliable, though. For instance I use a couple of these:

about ten pence per CD, stored in CD quality (with lossless compression).

Obviously the life of the medium and the technology are limited, but after (say) ten years it should be trivially easy to copy it all onto a modern medium.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Still an RPC, but with all the bells and whistles like TV tuner etc. I can't see me upgrading to the latest ones given their cost since this one still does most I want of a machine - and it's networked to another in the workshop. Next move - regretfully - will be to a PC, if I live that long. Acorns tend to go on for ever. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)