Hex Allen Keys for drills?

I am afraid the limit of my DIY is putting flat pack furniture together!!

All flat packs these days seem to require installing screws using Allen/Hex keys. Does anyone manufacture a set that can be fitted to a drill?

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Fisher

Have a look at

and
I am quite sure that you will find what you are looking for. A word of warning though. Fixing screws into flat pack furniture whatever the head configuration of the screw, with a drill can be really bad news. If you don't take enough care, you can over tighten and ruin the job. Using a hand tools for the job allows you to put as much or as little pressure on the screws as you need.

Reply to
the_constructor

Yes, but........

I'd not use them in a drill- maybe an electric screwdriver. However, in "flat pack" furniture you need to be careful not to damage the screw or the "wood". Being over keen with a drill or electric screw driver is one of the best ways to chew up the fittings in a flat pack kit.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes. Often as part of a drill bit set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Better to put the bits into say a tesco =A35 electric screwdriver, that wont have enough torque to damage anything.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Most decent cordless drills have the ability to set the maximum torque. And a lower setting should be fine for this job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For my last lot of flatpacks I just sawed a piece off of an ordinary

4mm hex wrench and used that in the chuck of my electric drill/screwdriver. Started with the lowest torque setting and gradually increased it.
Reply to
dcbwhaley

you saved yourself about 5p!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed - and every flatpack comes with a hex wrench so you should have plenty of them! Though I never use anything other than fingers myself for the reason others have said.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Found what i wanted at

will be using an electric screwdriver.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Fisher

Pop into Wickes, they sell them in sets. Any decent tool shop will have them - keep the torque setting down on the drill.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And £5 delivery charge!

Chris