Hewlett Packard cashback (OT in uk.d-i-y)

HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to £250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the will the live.

Any comments?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Did it with a printer once.

Fulfilled all the conditions including scanning the invoice and uploading it on their website. No cashback forthcoming.

Several emails later with them claiming I never provided an invoice I scanned and emailled the invoice on a promise it would be sorted.

Repeated the above several times and eventually got the cashback.

The printer was s**te (OfficeJet 600 IIRC), I told them i'd never buy from them again and never have.

I reckon most people would have given up but I never if I reckon that's what they are counting on.

Reply to
R D S

People in here have been succesful with the Cashback offers they run on the small servers. I *think* I got Cashback when I bought a colour laser printer from HP. Just make sure you get a proper printed reciept, probably has to be from a "participating store", rather than a random box shifter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Never trust email, doubly so for corporates when you are trying to get money out of them. I used snail mail...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have also received cashback on some Microservers and a quad core ML110 server. No problems apart from having to wait quite a while for the cheques. My experience would encourage me to use HP. The kit that I bought was very well made as well as being incredibly low cost (with the cashback). The cashback operation is subcontracted to a marketing company who deal with the whole process.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Not this time round, but I've done it on several of the previous similar cashbacks - laptops and printers. Never had a problem on any of them.

Reply to
Adrian

Bet they were using a not-very-good 3rd party company to administrate the cash-back claims. And I really don't think that a large corporation is relying on your giving up your cashback claim, you know.

I've done this without problems, BTW.

Reply to
GB

I did it once with a printer for a similar level of deal; yes it did eventually happen, after several months of chasing emails (each missive was duly replied to by a human, with some reason or other for the delay, and a new date by which I should receive the money, which then came and went...); I'm sure if I hadn't kept following up I'd never have received it.

Reply to
Lobster

Probably not, but the service from HP after the cashback wasn't initially forthcoming was beyond poor. As it also was when I was having trouble with the printer further down the line.

Reply to
R D S

So why announce it in the firstplace if they are so inept? Seems to me its a case of foot shooting syndrome. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have had no problems getting the hundred quid cashbak offer on a couple of (separate) HP microserver purchases in the last couple of years.

As others have said. make sure you buy from an approved supplier.

if it is by email, IIRC they acknowledge your claim email and give you an expected date that the claim will be processed by, which gives a decent degree of confidence.

Also IIRC, the main possible stumbling block on the Ts&Cs was that you were not buying on behalf of a company.

HTH J^n

Reply to
jkn

I bought an HP Microserver in November 2012; got the cashback simply by posting in copy of invoice, and form with details including serial number.

Did it again later the same month; again no problem.

The third one was rejected as the serial number said it was 'non UK stock'. The dealer changed it for another (pre-vetted number) one and it all went through fine. £300 in total!

Reply to
Bob Eager

And not fraud at all?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Why on earth should it be fraud?

Reply to
Bob Eager

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

The receipt/invoice also has to bear the same part number specified in the cashback Ts & Cs.

I highlighted it in my claim submission using fluorescent marker to make sure they couldn't miss it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Roger Mills escribió:

Bought a Microserver from them a couple years ago, 100 quid cashback, plus 10% Quidco cashback. Effective price ~110 quid.

No problems, and the uServer is rockin' on just fine. Fantastic value for money at the price paid.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Who did you buy through? 10% Quidco is pretty damn good these days apart from on things you only rarely buy or don't even have a need for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have used the HP cashback offer on two Microservers. There was no problem at all with that. Check you are buying from a proper HP dealer. If, as is usually the case, you order online and get a PDF invoice then you can do the whole claim online. Check arrives within a week or two.

Reply to
djc

Did it with my laptop and got $99 back from Acer. I had to send in a form and copy receipt saying to whom the rebate cheque should be made out to.

My take on how these schemes are meant to work is that (say) you buy said laptop for your business, then pocket the rebate yourself. Accounts department and boss probably don't know about it. Much as Acer offering you $99 in used notes if you buy their product rather than someone else's. Much the same with Viking Stationery's free gifts that probably get taken home by the secretaries.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In message , Roger Mills writes

When I was looking a few weeks back, the screen had to be unscratched, laptop less than 4 years olds and in fully working order apart from anything else

Reply to
geoff