Heres an interesting puzzle.

At 5 a.m. my internet connection went 'weird'

Traceroute revealed that some internet sites were inaccessible whilst others going via the same router were just fine.

I reported it to my ISP, sincere problem seemed to be in one of their boundary routers, and patched into a proxy on a machine I COULD reach, and (most) traffic was restored.

At 3pm the problem still existed, so I reported it to them by email

At 4 pm I lost patience and phoned. They admitted the problem, but said that the router in question had been rebooted and the problem had gone, but 'the solution seems to be to restart the customer router'

I did, and full connectivity was restored.

But the puzzle remains: how could a problem on a machine miles away reflect itself in corrupted router NAT tables? As this is the only thing that I can see that could have produced this behaviour.

I am honestly stumped on this.

Anyone provide a rationale?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher