hep20 o-ring sequence

hi folks, i assembled 8 hep20 joints a few days ago for a new sink.half weeped initially but after some tightening they are now dry.tested them with a few atm pressure and they held.

today i realized that i should have put the o ring in first, not near the cap. anyone made a similar mistake on their first hep20 diy job? did it last? or did you rip out everything? why do you think they are not leaking anymore.what is the improtance of the rubber o-ring?

thanks sam

Reply to
Sam

All the ones I've fitted come pre assembled so I've never had this problem. The o ring stops it leaking, putting it in the wrong place means it leaks, basically. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

The joints come preassembled. You just put insert/protector on pipe end and insert the pipe into the joint. Why are you doing anything with the O-ring at all?

The rubber o-ring makes the seal on the joint. It is the most important part. Without it, the joint may as well be made with Sellotape.

Christian.

  • Hep20 tip: before making the joint with demountable Hep20, loosen the end caps and tighten only slightly. Some come from the factory so tight that you need spanners to undo them, so better to get them loose before they end up in a barely accessible location, needing to be taken apart.
Reply to
Christian McArdle

Part of me says this post is a troll, part of me says it's genuine...

The O ring is the thing that does the sealing. Without an O ring all you have is a fitting which holds the two pipe ends in the vicinity of each other, but provides no sealing whatsoever.

I don't understand why you disassembled the fittings in the first place

- this isn't necessary. You grab the pipe, cut it square, put an insert in, push it into the fitting and tighten up. That's it. They *never*,

**ever** leak unless you haven't pushed the pipe home.

I think you have to remake all your fittings. They may be sealing now, but the O ring is probably just squished far enough to seal. The tightening isn't to seal, it's just to get the grab ring to grab.

Reply to
Grunff

As has been said in other posts, Hep2O fittings are designed to push straight onto pipe without needing any dismantling or mechanical manipulation. The technique is shown here: -

customers have confused Hep2O with compression fittings and therefore the caps on most fittings are tightened deliberately to dissuade dismantling and subsequent incorrect reassembly.

Incorrect reassembly of the Hep2O demountable fitting is, perhaps unsurprisingly, one of the largest causes of installation problems.

Should the fitting need to be dismantled and remade, the correct procedure can be found at the Hep2O website: -

Hepworth Plumbing Products Team

-- Tel: +44 (0)1709 856 300 |Hepworth Plumbing Products Fax: +44 (0)1709 856 301 |Edlington Lane, Edlington Email: snipped-for-privacy@hepworthplumbing.co.uk |Doncaster, UK

|DN12 1BY

Reply to