Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

My Henry HVR200 lost his suction and then just cut out. The mains fuse was OK, so looks like the motor. How can I check it IS the motor - are there any other fuses inside which might have blown? what could have brought this on - for example I use cheap bags which are stated to fit Henry - do I need to use official bags? Could be old age - it's at least 10 to 15 yrs old. anything I should know about fitting the motor replacement? Is there an updated motor model that's preferable to the one that came with mine? Thanks for any help, Andy Evans

Reply to
Eusebius

Get in touch with Numatic via their helpline, they're very, erm, helpful!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It could well be the wipers in the rewind mechanism. The tracks will need cleaning and the contacts might need to be bent to make a firmer contact with the tracks.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

They usually snap off

Reply to
powerstation

Andy, before you do anything, try it again now it's cooled down. There's a thermal cut-out on mine that resets itself when it's cool enough, it sometimes takes quite a while. My Henry's a bit younger than yours but it's worth a go.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

My Henry has a thermal cut-out embedded in the windings. Long periods of use with restricted airflow have resulted in it operating and stopping the motor. A (longish) cool down period and it reset iself ok. The use of cheapo bags, a clogged cloth filter or restricted flow for some other reason could be the cause of your troubles

Reply to
John

If it's 10 - 15 years old it won't have the rewind, it's not been out that long.

Most likely the brushes, might as well change the motor, easy job. Cheapest place I know

david lang

You're right on the money here - it was the thermal cutout. Motor obviously got too hot. So I need to find out what's overheating it. I've never cleaned the filter - is this the next step? the filter's the white fabric thing that has a cross shaped plastic holder and fits just under the motor, above the bag? Can I wash it or should I use some other kind of liquid. I presume it has to dry pretty well. Where do I go from here? thanks so far! Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

Yes, the motor in a Henry is a direct cooled one. In other words the air being sucked in is blown out over the motor to keep it cool. If the filter is clogged the airflow drops, so the cooling effect is reduced.

The white nylon type filter can be cleaned, scrub it with a brush & some detergent, but make sure it's bone dry before its used again - or replace it.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

There are four or five different versions of motor, I'm not 100% sure if they are interchangeable. Best to phone Numatic.

Henrys are fitted with thermal cut-outs and I don't know if they automatically reset or whether they are a once only device. They are attached to the side of the stator so worth testing it with a meter before buying a new motor.

I'm surprised that it's only lasted 15 years! If it was one of the cheap tub vacs I could understand it. You must have given it some real abuse!

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX