Henry vacuum bags

I've heard great things about Henry vacuum cleaners so I had a proper look at one in John Lewis. They're certainly well made but the demo machine was fitted with a paper bag. I was expecting a cloth bag or even that you'd just tip out the dirt from the cylinder. Do you have to use paper bags? I hate the damn things.

Reply to
nospam

Mine uses paper bags with a nylony material between the bab and the motor. I am more than happy to pay the smal amount for bags from the market for the ease of disposal of a (big) henry bag full of dust rubble whatever. My (builder) brother in law has his wifes small Dyson thing (she didn't like it so gave it to him to use) and I found it holds little (compared with the Henry) and I was forever taking it to bits to knock the dust out of all the filters (over everything else around the skip).

I generally like the idea on 'cyclone' bagless cleaners but not for building dust / rubble ..

Just my 3dth ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

I have a Henry and I dont use a bag. The dust goes into the plastic body and I empty it when it needs it.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I think the bags are optional and are recommended for situations where allergens in the fine dust might be a problem.

Reply to
Arty Flinders

The bags are optional, unless you need to filter to 0.5 microns, when they are essential.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Avoid having to use bags and get a Dyson.

We have a Dyson and a Henry at work.

In the case of the Henry, the suction drops off very quickly after changing the bag. The Dyson always seems to work at 100%.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

In message , Graham Wilson writes

You're a loony

Reply to
raden

We have both at home.

In the case of the Dyson, bits drop off very quickly.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a DC04 which was not bought for building work, but at 4 years old now, that's all it's been used for, and it works brilliantly for it. I am careful not to bash the thing around and no bits have dropped off so far. I did break the cuff on the end of the hose when it was new due to dropping something heavy on it, but Dyson sent me a new one FoC. Amoungst other things, it's vacuumed up the rubble debris and dust from demolishing an internal plastered brick wall (a wheelie bin full, actually too heavy to move the bin;-), and from stripping the plaster off several other walls, taking down a ceiling, coupling up to planers, circular saws, and wall chasers for dust extraction, etc. The only obvious sign of abuse was the clear dust container was internally sand blasted from the first job, but that hasn't had any effect on it's operation.

I've tried using a wall chaser with a Henry, and it doesn't work. It blocks the bag in about 10 seconds, and without a bag the dust mostly all passes straight through the cleaner and comes out as a thick cloud. A VAX with an inch of water in it worked slightly better than the Henry. On one occasion I hired a wall chaser I was offered a large industrial cyclone cleaner and told that worked very well, but it cost as much again to hire so I didn't.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't use a bag with my Henry. I think I've lost the ones it came with.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Care to explain?

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

(Yeah, a bit tongue in cheek)

I have a Dyson and a Henry

The Henry IMVHO far out performs the dyson, is more rugged (I've had a few bits break on the dyson recently) doesn't clog up and will empty the water out of the bottom of my pond.

As for performance dropping off, the filters kill the suction on the dyson very quickly, the old Henry soldiers on like a good 'un

Reply to
raden

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Actually, come to think of it, mine has a cloth bag - obviously one of the proper ones before they went cheap and nasty

Reply to
raden

I want a vacuum cleaner, not a water pump.

It sounds like you have a faulty filter. The air filters on the Dyson only need cleaning one every six months. A quick wash under the tap.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Henry every time here

Reply to
raden

If you try and suck up a big pile of "builders" dust etc, it seems to saturate the cyclone effect and a great amount gets past and into the filters.

_However_...... Henry is just as crap without a bag as the material filter thing also gets instantly clogged and suction vanishes just as rapidly. and the "filter" is a real pig to try and wash, and it takes an age to dry out.

I still prefer the little round smilng faced chap to the Dyson for building dust.

Reply to
Pet