Henry vac at the Albert Hall

Anyone see the last night of the proms? One piece included four vacuum / floor cleaners. I thought the Henry perfomed well compared with the others

John

Reply to
JTM

Did it have Henry written on it? My wife said it had 'Numatic', but with my sight I couldn't be sure (well, that and the booze).

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , JTM writes

"A Grand Grand Overture" by Malcolm Arnold (I think)

I have it on a Hoffnung Record performed at the RFH in 1956

Henry wasn't even a twinkle in Numatic's eye

Reply to
geoff

Likewise (well, a CD of that same performance in my case). The piano concerto is excellent too. Actually, that's just made me listen to it...

I had intended to watch the Last Night, but forgot about it until now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All I saw was Numatic. I looked for Henry but didn't see it.

Reply to
<me9

The 'Henry' didn't come in to shot, but that was my immediate impression. There is another one of similar size but not that colour.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, Henrys come in lots of colours (not to mention Hettys in pink). I wondered if it was either (a) an industrial model or (b) a subtlt product placement 'special' direct from Numatic.

No (this is sad, isn't it?) I've just looked it up. It was probably a NRV200-22, which is a commercial model...

"The 200 series has all the many features of the Henry design with full professional Twinflo' power and performance; Hi-Lo operation; Tritex filtration but with the addition of our extended commercial 12.5 metre cable rewind and storage system."

And it has Numatic written on it...

Bob Eager

probably the same plastic mouldings so would look the same.

Reply to
PeterC

Seems a shame not to use 1950's appliance models. I could have lent them a working Hoover Constelation. The one in the 1956 recording has a definite audiable snap to it's on/off switch, probably because it's a spring loaded toggle designed for DC operation too like the Constelation, but unlike modern appliances.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The Radio 3 version (not sure about the televised version) is available until next Saturday on the BBC iPlayer.

I recorded the first half because I was out during the early evening, and watched the second half live - and I have to say that I preferred the music of the first half. The Arnold/Hoffnung thing was a bit of fun - but not particularly great music compared, for example, with the Hadyn trumpet concerto in the first half.

The soloists were very good - Alison Balsom's trumpet playing was fantastic, and Sarah Connolly has a fine mezzo-soprano voice - even if she does look a bit like Stephen Fry in drag.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I thought it sucked - but Attenborough swept the floor...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

No, he polished everyone else off.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Roger Mills writes

Err ...

Who watches / listens to the second half of LNOTP for great music ?

Reply to
geoff

At one point the BBC had Martha Kearney saying that she was playing the rifle and clearly holding an open shotgun.

I am no sure if I will ever believe any reports that she does in the future about military matters!

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Radio 4 aired a play yesterday about Hoffnung putting together the first music festival: "Hoffnung - Drawn to Music". It's on Listen Again for next 5 days or so

had some good moments if you already know the music from the music festival (and the brick layer story comes up), but sadly it had rather too many dull bits too, and I can't imagine it would be of any interest if you don't know the background.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Which end was she holding?

Owain