Help with Window Sil

What could I do to tidy this up ?

Basically there used to be a window seat where the windows join the building (something I'm rather keen not to put back) and the removal of the seat has left the ugly join you see above.

Any ideas ?

Reply to
San Connolly

What do you want to finish the wall with? Paint. Paper?

Reply to
EricP

Paint

Reply to
Séan Connolly

First, get rid of those frightful old windows, I thought that sort of sht went out with the ark! I should then make a "feature sill" of 4 or

6x1 1/4, with a plain round nose, supported on shaped brackets. Should look good when it's finished! Don't know about what replacement windows, it depends on the rest of the house, but Georgian style would look nice.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Can't do that, way too expensive ! I don't mind them tbh anyway, they let the light in, I can see out, job done ;-)

Reply to
Séan Connolly

I don't know... having exposed the join, there's a problem... it might be worth talking to a glazier/supplier of windows, and see whether they've ever seen such a construction... if you know who installed the windows, and they're still about, they *might* be responsive to non-confontational enquiries. I expect silicone and a cover strip will be involved somewhere.. I was about to pour scorn on the skirting, but having looked again, it could well look good once decorating's finished.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Whats thw distance from one end of the window to tother?

A sheet of thick plywood with half moon shape cut to form around the window sill at each side of window with none in the middle or a straight piece in the middle.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Long dead and gone I'm afraid, with a name like Amazing Glazing (complete with bubble font) what do you expect I suppose. (I should point out I didn't get the windows put in !) Having seen how badly the windows were put in (there was a big hole under they bay windows covered up by the window seat), this is no bad thing.

This is what the guy who did the plastering reckoned would work. Not sure where to start looking for something like that though.

Come one, there's nothing wrong with yellow and white skirting ;-) Interestingly the skirting on the downstairs bay seems to be one long piece curverd around the bay, wheres the upstairs seems to be lots of little bits butted together,.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

A strip of something fixed to the wall, topped with a narrow sill - how=20 about 12mm ply? You could make the sill in two layers, with a strip for=20 each segment of the window and glued lap joints. Run a router around=20 the edge and you're done :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Interesting. I should point out though that my experience of wood working doesn't go much beyond sharpening a pencil ! I have graduated to replacing floorboards recently though so I'm getting there.

So, what's a lap joint?

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Viewed from the side it looks like this=20 ___________________ ___________________|___________ |_____________________

Perhaps I should have said half-lap joint, which looks like this __________________________ |_______ _________________|________

but as the sill would be made of two layers it would just be a case of=20 not cutting the top and bottom layer in the same place so the=20 overlapping area holds the two sides together.

So seen from the top one layer would look like this ____________________________ \ \=20 \

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks for that, probably a bit above my level to make it work I think though.

Reply to
Séan Connolly