Help with patching plaster please pics inside

Hi

I'm redoing both the bedrooms in my terrace house before i go travelling. I want to get the walls skimmed so i can redecorate but the problem ive got is that when i took the wallpaper off alot of the plaster was cracked and lose against the wall so it had to be removed which has left me with this see pics.

If you look at the edges they are all diff depths from the wall at the top the plaster comes away from the wall about 1 1/2 inches and at the sides its all around an inch from the wall.

My question is how do i prepare this for skimming? my next door neighbour said cut up plasterboard and use some kind of adhesive to stick the board to the brick. How do i get it all level if all the edges are different depths from the wall?

Thanks aaron

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: E2.JPG | |Download:
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
mood

Use bonding plaster in up to 1/2" thick layers.

If thats too expensive you can probably stick plasterboard to brick with it.

But still use bonding to get within 4-5mm of finished surface. Score it while wet then skim the lot - better still get a pro to skim it. I can't get the hang of plastering meself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Easiest sort of plastering to do as you've an edge to go to. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Attach a vertical batten down each corner - just fix it where it touches and pack it out where necessary. Slap a bit of bonding coat into the biggest dents, when that firms up slap on a bit more until you're getting close to flat, then drag a straight edge over it using the battens as a guide so you can scrape off any high spots and fill any low spots. Don't try to make it smooth, just level. Leave it to harden a bit, then hack out the battens and fill the gaps.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Buy a bag of dry wall plaster this is great for the work you have. Finish plaster has a tendancy to bulge out when you apply too much at the same area DWP does not do this.

It goes hard quick but spraying water on it to keep it manageble helps. When it set's it goes rockhard.

Reply to
ben

The Natural Philosopher wrote: (snip)

You'll be no good on a binge then. :-)