help with boiler decision

Turn off the supply and drain it down? Same as you do with any leak?

The tank should have been covered so this couldn't happen, and the overflow big enough to take the full output of the rising main. Normal overflows frequently aren't - but can only cope with a dribbling valve.

There were so many flaws in that installation you can't really blame the principle but the cowboys that installed it. You might as well blame all combis for blowing up and killing people - or poisoning them.

Heh heh - but China like all other countries make good and bad products. It's up to the seller to make sure they are fit for the purpose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given your behaviour over the years, are you one?

Many will remeber your claims about your qualifications which were plainly rubbish and your claims about the vehicles you own etc.

And then there was the little incident where you threatened to 'set the police' on me. And other dire things. All of which were pure hot air as all of your bile - sent from behind the safety of an alias and false address, John.

Still, as a good plantpot, I pity you more than anything else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hope not, mines 25 years old and I wasn't planning on replacing it.

My system has eaten a gas valve (5 years ago), two pumps and all five motorised valves have been replaced along with the microswitch in one.

Oh, the thermostats have been replaced with digital timer/stats too.

Reply to
dennis

Like a lot of things nowadays durability has been sacrificed on the altar of performance achieved by technology and not quality. The tendency to cheapness is always with us..

We had one of those once, imported by Ravenheat. It was a good solution even if rather like having a BT telephone box bolted on the kitchen wall.

Sadly after 12 or so years it had gotten senile and was corroded, crusty and dribbly.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

8.5 litres per min. Somthing wromg with it.

As I said, "Which means nothing".

But you have no experience of them.

A quality one? Probaly a few ignition parts. Quality combis don't have

3-way motorised valves.

I know some form the early 80s that are still running with little attention, and they have pcbs.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You don't know what you are talking about. Ther are high qualioty conmbis around, and other boilers too. Look at an Atmos, Ethos 54kW, Viessmann, Atag, ACV.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm still using some electronic equipment containing electrolytics nearly 80 years old. Suitably rated they /can/ last.

Reply to
<me9

Great for rising rice and pasta - just lean over to combi, up the DHW temp and rinse away.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Not a well designed one using good quality components. I've got a Quad amp in daily use which is coming up to 40 years old and has never been repaired.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it the truth hurts?

However, for those that don't believe me there is always Google...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you've got stored water at 60C isn't that as good?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It hurts Drivel a lot. That's why he deletes the material that upsets him from his reply and resorts to playground insult.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And a Cyrus which is now close to 30 years old, it still sounds better than more modern units.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh Look!! plantpot. This one should be tagged.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're rather proving the point, you f****it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not even bottles ?

If only Quad made combis ... 8-0

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

No, I don't think so. You always have possibilities such as a pinhole (or worse) between primary and secondary circuits, joints made with leaded solder, something in the cold water tank (assuming open system), etc.

Reply to
Rod

Oh Look!! A total plantpot. This one needs tagging.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel