Help wiring

I have just wired up an extractor fan / Timer / Humidity.

I believe my wiring to be correct however the fan is not working.

I have checked the live & switched live at the fan and power is coming in. I will recheck wiring tomorrow but are there any variations that would prevent the fan from working like having the live and switched live the wrong way around.

I can get access to a multi meter tomorrow, so anything I should check?

The link below shows the wiring as per manufacturer and the blue writing is where I have wired re live/ switched.

ss

Why is neutral going to your light switch? If your light switch and the other switch are closed, you'll have a dead short.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What I have done is taken the 3 core + earth which was already installed by previous owners, one red always live and the yellow only live when the light is switched on.

I have read the diagram as L=live N=neutral T switched live, and wired from my original cable on that basis.

Reply to
ss

You've labelled the diagram wrongly. The circled cross is the light not the light switch. Hence Andy's disingenuous query.

Reply to
nemo

Is the X within a circle, next to your blue 'Light switch' text, really a switch, or actually the light bulb itself. If the former, then what AB says is right. Have you blown a fuse somewhere which is why the fan won't work? Does the light still work? Is there a fuse within the fan/timer humidity unit that's blown?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If the light is switched on, the fan should get live on both lives whether you wired them wrong or not. Hence the fan should operate when the light is on. If you got the lives the wrong way round to the fan, then it won't run on for 5 minutes after the light is switched off. I'm assuming you got the neutral right.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The phrase "light switch" should be next to the switch, not the bulb symbol.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It's not... The diagram looks OK to me.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ha - I did not even read the words - just read the symbols. I see the confusion now...

Reply to
Tim Watts

To answer previous posts: Nothing is tripping at the mains. Yes the circle with cross will be the bulb (my mistake) The blue wire has been located where terminals are marked N. When I check the live and the switched the the switched is a lesser brightness (using a mains tester)

Reply to
ss

If the light is turned on, the switched live should be the same brightness. If it's dimmer, perhaps a loose connection?

If the light is turned off, there should be no signal on the tester.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Some testers require you to place your finger on a metal plate on the side to get a good reading.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

That's normally only for impedance testing.

Reply to
Bod

I will leave for now and do some checking tomorrow when I get a multi meter, Now too dark to work with mains off.

Reply to
ss

No it isn't. It's to act as the other end of the capacitance to measure a live voltage. The power to light the neon has to go somewhere, and that's into you.

Impedance testing requires a separate crocodile clip on a short lead.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It's a humidistat fan, so may only work when the air is humid. Check for jumpers/adjustment inside the fan. Make sure permanent live and switched live are in the correct terminals.

Reply to
A.Lee

I will check the wiring again tomorrow but I triple checked at the time as elec scares the Sh.. out of me. the fan should come on I believe regardless of humidity. I did adjust the `timers` for the fan made no difference.

Reply to
ss

Have you fitted the cover to the fan - I recently got 'caught out' as there was a very small magnet on the cover that operated a reed inside. I had looked for a switch operated by the cover (Airflow Loovent) and not having found one assumed that I had a defective fan, tried it on the bench, fully assembled, and it worked, installed with cover off it didn't! Cover in place everything OK.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I havent tried with cover on but there is no magnet or micro switch on it. I did look for that earlier. I was wondering if the live and switched live should be reversed?

Reply to
ss

It would still run! bIt just would not be a timed fan.

Does the light work?

Reply to
ARW