Help: Water dripping through light fitting

I noticed this morning that there was water dripping through the light fitting in my kitchen downstairs. I immediately turned off the electrics and then found what I think was the problem - the waste pipe from the bath upstairs appears to have been blocked and there was some amount of water standing in the bath. I guess the weight of the water must have forced a leak.

My question is this - should it be OK to just wait until the light fitting has dried out and then switch everything back on (having first repaired the waste pipe from the bath), or should I perhaps have the kitchen ceiling inspected in case there is more fundamental damage.

From a quick inspection this morning, I didn't notice any large water

marks around the dripping light fitting, and the volume of water that came through was not too great (maybe a couple of cup-fulls).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
MarkyD

Switch off the electric, remove and dry the light, put it back together, proceed as normal.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

And while you're sorting out the waste pipe - presumably under the upstairs floorboards - make sure that any junction boxes above the ceiling are not full of water.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Reply to