Help - washing machine flooding kitchen!

Well, not quite but I live on the 2nd floor so any water is bad. I posted before about this Whirlpool machine - just got round to taking the back off it. The motor seems to work - goes at various different speeds. The problem is that water doesn't drain out. The filter is bottom left front. I took it out and it's a plastic valve, as far as I can see. I blew back down the exit hose and water came out the front, so that's not blocked. I put a cup of water inside and that came out the front. so water drains into the filter and presumably drains out (not blocked). Motor goes round. So where does the problem lie? could it be the plastic filter valve isn't opening or closing or whatever it's supposed to do? Or is it something electrical - the machine isn't triggering 'empty' for some reason? Help MUCH appreciated!!!
=== Andy Evans ==Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Andy Evans wrote on Saturday (07/02/2004) :

Which motor goes round? The drum motor, the pump motor?
Are you saying that the water remains in the machine after it has filled up and the machine seems unable to empty itself?
If that is the case then check that the pump motor is going round, if not the pump impellor could be jammed or the supply not getting to the pump motor. Check for 240v at the pump terminals when you think the pump should be operating.
I have never heard of any sort of valve in the drain plumbing of a machine. The outlet is well above the drum, so the only way out for the water is for it to be pumped out via the above pump.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
Harry Bloomfield wrote on Saturday (07/02/2004) :

Lowering the end of the outlet pipe below the level of the drum, into a bowl will allow the water to be drained whether the machine is turned on or off.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
=== Andy Evans ==Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
On 07/02/2004 Andy Evans a wrote :

Try cutting the band out. Their should be no drive belts inside the pump at all, it will likely be something you have put in with your washing that has made its way into the pump and jammed it. It might just be a seal from the pump shaft though. The pump should turn easily and freely by hand.
All the pumps I have come across have been directly driven by the pump motor, on a single common shaft.

Any 'Washer Spares' type of establishment will likely be able to offer a replacement, but it depends on the model..... Ask, look in the Yellow pages.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Still hiding, Harry?
--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:28:53 GMT, Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip wrote:

Look in the Yellow Pages, very helpful and specific advice.
--
Phil Kyle - Usenet Legend.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at /

But enough about your sex life.
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:05:22 GMT, K. Byron wrote:

He's always doing that.
--
Phil Kyle - Usenet Legend.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at /
Harry got it right in this case - machine working perfectly again. Thanks, Andy
=== Andy Evans ==Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Try cutting the band out>>
Harry Bloomfield - go to the top of the class. Cut it out. Motor rotates. Just trying out a load now - looks good. Lucky the motor didn't burn out. Feeling that warm glow of repairing an electrical appliance - shit man - I don't even know what all the numbers on the dial do! Woopee.
=== Andy Evans ==Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

You appear to be not only talking to yourself, but disagreeing with yourself, Harry. I'd give up if I were you.

Try this alternative explanation.
Under normal circumstances, water runs by gravity from the drum, down to the pump in the base of the machine. The pump forces it up the outlet hose and hence into a standpipe or sink.
In an emergency (such as mains, programmer or pump failure) it is possible to drain the machine entirely by gravity by unhooking the high level outlet hose and putting its end into a bowl on the floor.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:04:11 GMT, E. Russell wrote:

What, Harry getting flustered is he? Oho!
--
Phil Kyle - Usenet Legend.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at /
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:15:03 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Your outlet pipe seems to be suffering a blockage.