Help - washing machine flooding kitchen!

Well, not quite but I live on the 2nd floor so any water is bad. I posted before about this Whirlpool machine - just got round to taking the back off it. The motor seems to work - goes at various different speeds. The problem is that water doesn't drain out. The filter is bottom left front. I took it out and it's a plastic valve, as far as I can see. I blew back down the exit hose and water came out the front, so that's not blocked. I put a cup of water inside and that came out the front. so water drains into the filter and presumably drains out (not blocked). Motor goes round. So where does the problem lie? could it be the plastic filter valve isn't opening or closing or whatever it's supposed to do? Or is it something electrical - the machine isn't triggering 'empty' for some reason? Help MUCH appreciated!!!

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Andy Evans wrote on Saturday (07/02/2004) :

Which motor goes round? The drum motor, the pump motor?

Are you saying that the water remains in the machine after it has filled up and the machine seems unable to empty itself?

If that is the case then check that the pump motor is going round, if not the pump impellor could be jammed or the supply not getting to the pump motor. Check for 240v at the pump terminals when you think the pump should be operating.

I have never heard of any sort of valve in the drain plumbing of a machine. The outlet is well above the drum, so the only way out for the water is for it to be pumped out via the above pump.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield wrote on Saturday (07/02/2004) :

Lowering the end of the outlet pipe below the level of the drum, into a bowl will allow the water to be drained whether the machine is turned on or off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

got a bit further now. Unscrewed the pump motor. this looks like the problem - behind the propellor there's a tangle of rubber band. Seems like I just need to replace this part. Says PLASET Italy COD 51862. Has some odd screw heads - kind of between allen key and cross head. the rubber band may be a pulley, but it would probably better to replace the part. So any idea where to get such a part? It's a Whirlpool 1000. I'm in Kensington. Andy

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Try cutting the band out. Their should be no drive belts inside the pump at all, it will likely be something you have put in with your washing that has made its way into the pump and jammed it. It might just be a seal from the pump shaft though. The pump should turn easily and freely by hand.

All the pumps I have come across have been directly driven by the pump motor, on a single common shaft.

Any 'Washer Spares' type of establishment will likely be able to offer a replacement, but it depends on the model..... Ask, look in the Yellow pages.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

Still hiding, Harry?

Reply to
Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

Look in the Yellow Pages, very helpful and specific advice.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

You appear to be not only talking to yourself, but disagreeing with yourself, Harry. I'd give up if I were you.

Reply to
E. Russell

But enough about your sex life.

Reply to
K. Byron

Try cutting the band out>>

Harry Bloomfield - go to the top of the class. Cut it out. Motor rotates. Just trying out a load now - looks good. Lucky the motor didn't burn out. Feeling that warm glow of repairing an electrical appliance - shit man - I don't even know what all the numbers on the dial do! Woopee.

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Try this alternative explanation.

Under normal circumstances, water runs by gravity from the drum, down to the pump in the base of the machine. The pump forces it up the outlet hose and hence into a standpipe or sink.

In an emergency (such as mains, programmer or pump failure) it is possible to drain the machine entirely by gravity by unhooking the high level outlet hose and putting its end into a bowl on the floor.

Reply to
Set Square

He's always doing that.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

Your outlet pipe seems to be suffering a blockage.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

What, Harry getting flustered is he? Oho!

Reply to
Phil Kyle

Harry got it right in this case - machine working perfectly again. Thanks, Andy