Help wanted in (re) assembling throttle linkage on Kohler engine

I've got to the final stages of re-assembling a Howard 350 rotavator and can't quite see how the throttle linkage is *supposed* to work. It has a Kohler 141 petrol engine.

I seem to remember when I took it apart that I thought to myself "I'm sure it shouldn't be like this" so it's not a matter of having forgotten how it goes back together, I don't think it was right to start with. (Considering the state of the rest of the machine this seems quite likely, talk about bodged!).

Anyway can anyone point me at some picture, description or information of any sort on how the linkage works?

The 'user' end is just a straightforward cable control.

The difficult to understand bit is not the actual bit that connects to the butterfly spindle itself. The butterfly spindle has a wire link to operate it and connects to a 'thing' on a shaft to which the cable from the control also connects. The 'thing on a shaft' connects the cable to the butterfly but it also does something by rotating a shaft which goes inside the engine. It has a spring loaded plate and sundry other bits. I guess it may either be a mixture controllong device or a governor of some sort but it's hard to tell.

Reply to
usenet

I've got one of these, but at another house. Will try to remember to look. You may have to remind me. They're good.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

It will be a governor. Generic description based on my Honda engine... The shaft into the engine will move or turn in relation to the current engine speed (it's connected to a centrifugal crank driven devce inside). This should operate the butterfly, but be controlled by the user throttle control via levers and springs. Users sets desired speed, governor/linkage/springs/butterfly try to keep engine speed constant(ish) regardless of load.

You're likely to find that the user throttle control does not directly operate the butterfly at all, but acts on a lever which is then tied to the governor assembly etc.

Hope my decription gives you an idea of how it's supposed to work at least!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, the ones I have come across before have been cruder, just a big vane which gets deflected by the wind being blown around the engine by fins on the magneto rotor. The throttle control opens the butterfly via a spring and the governor van closes it as the engine speeds up.

The rotavator ran OK when I got it but the throttle control did seem a bit 'violent' shall we say, sort of full blast or nothing. That suggests that, as I thought, the throttle wasn't connected up right.

Thinking about it, with your input, it would make sense that the butterfly is connected (fairly) rigidly to the governor and then the throttle tries to pull it open via a spring. I suspect the throttle cable is not original either I may need to make some modifications there too.

Reply to
usenet