help urgently needed please! Johnson & Staley warm air heating system

This system is very old, I know, but we're too skint to replace it! It has 2 problems at the moment -

1st problem is that there is a separate pilot light for the hot water. If you turn it up further than the bare minimum, a big blue flame comes out the space. A Scottish Gas engineer told us to hoover it, which we've done, but no joy.

2nd problem is that it doesn't seem to recognise when the heat in the house has reached a certain level, and we have to turn the heating off. Have changed the thermostat on the wall, but still no joy.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
ruthecraig