Help! the CH pump is trying to make a bid for freedom.

Our radiator suddenly started to rock 10 minutes ago (all over the house) and hubby tracked it down to the pump (HE thinks). His description is the pump is making the same noise as the radiators - rattling. The boiler seems OK.
We have switched it off, but with -1 predicated for tonight we'll need it in the morning. Any ideas what might be wrong and is it safe to use? Or will the pump wrench off its fittings, grow legs and scamper off into the sunset?
TIA Suzanne
Suz wrote:

When you say rock, you don't mean physically 'rock', do you? Are they just making a loud noise? What's the noise like? Grinding? Tapping? Whirring?
--
Grunff

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:23:49 -0000, "Suz"

You could try changing the speed control on it and see if the noise varies.
If so, the pump is class F, and you will SOL in the morning, I am afraid. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I can figure this one out ;-)

errr ?

Shit out of Luck.
(I should have said "will be SOL").... .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Theyre easy enough to replace, and quite cheap.
Regards, NT
A faulty trv could make this sort of noise and the pipework will transmit the noise all over so it could appear to come from the pump. Try turning the rads off one at a time to see if it stops.
--
Pete Cross

"N. Thornton" < snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk> wrote in message

Sounds like my old pump. The sound is the impellor blades rattling around the housing. Pumps are really easy to replace, assuming the isolation valves work (mine did astonishingly). Pumps are pretty cheap.
Christian.

thing. The next morning with bated breath hubby and I opened one eye and looked at each other when the central heating started up, but all was fine, back to normal. The heating had been going for a full 24hrs before this, so it may have connected to that.
Anyway, all is OK for the time being, but as the pump is about 20yrs old at a guess, it may be time for a new one soon. I reckon it could pave the for a new dining room table.