Help Speaker replacement advice needed

Hi, I found some old Marantz boxes in the attic. LD20 if that means anything to anybody anymore, probably not. 14" by 9" by 10" outside, 2 way, vented. Foam turned to dust on bass units.

Since all I have is two probably usefull ready-made enclosures my question is what speakers should I get to use there. Not expensive and available in UK. I would appreciate your recomendations.

The original tweeters might work but the quality? The mid/bass opening is 168mm, centre to centre is 143mm. All openings can be cut bigger, vent can be closed, etc.

Is there any info site where I can compare dimensions or find calculations to arrive at proper crossover frequencies. Maybe manufactors datasheet sites? My old ref books are gone and any math background I had went with them.

It was long ago since I DIY-ed speakers and the old favorites are irelevant today probably.

Thanks ayosha

Reply to
ayosha

They might be repaired. Check out

ScottW

Give Wilmslow Audio a try:

PoP

Try phoning Wilmslow Audio.

can possible recommend a drop-in replacement that will work with the original crossover. **

If not, they could probably supply a matched set of woofer, tweeter and Xover which will fit the cabinet. All the designing you have to do is pick the right size reflex vent.

** It's a Marantz. It probably doesn't have a crossover :-)
Reply to
The Old Fogey

I'd say that buying a complete set of replacements will cost more than simply a new pair of speakers of equivalent or better quality. Unless you really like experimenting.

You might find a kit of speakers and crossover etc of the right size where you would normally build the cabinet is reasonable value, though.

Wimlslow Audio do such kits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , ayosha writes

I would recommend getting a copy of 'Winspeakerz' (It's not expensive) and using the library of drive units, (and your internal measurements of the box of course) to see which current bass unit gives a good response.

Reply to
Chris Morriss