Help removing light bulb

I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone. The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from behind and I cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

They might not appear to slide, but I bet they do. Or, rather, I bet they should.

If all else fails, a new fitting won't be expensive...

Reply to
Adrian

The bulb (tube) is held in by a strong spring at one end. Try a sideways movement which pushes the tube into the end cap. The other end of the tube should then be revealed. Then it should come out.

Reply to
charles

It doesn't seem to. there is a metal cap at both ends and as far as I can see tow pins in each cap.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If it has two pins in each end you need to twist the tube by 90° - and then it should come out.

Reply to
charles

That type - the cap slides off and then you can either twist the tube

90deg or spring-load it and pull it out, depending on what's there under the cap. Iirc, it's a twist fitting under that.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Correction; that's what I came across with that type, it doesn't mean yours is the same, so don't go attacking it with gusto.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But it doesn't because the end caps prevent it.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I'd go with Adrian. Looks like a groove between the endcap and main body.

Can you get a thin screwdriver in and lever the endcap off?

John M

Reply to
JTM

Is it possible that the complete unit slides on to a couple of screws that then hold the unit in place. I seem to recall a similar problem in my last house but damned if I can remember how I got the bulb out but it had me flumixed for a couple of days, I have vague memories of twisting the bulb but also sliding one end cap or maybe both. Its maybe worth wearing a pair of gloves if twisting the bulb in case it breaks on you.

Reply to
ss

Angle grinder.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My ones have one end that slides, maybe its just jammed?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Protective gloves, glasses and a mask to avoid inhaling the phosphor, then break the tube. Pull the ends out and you will have access to the fitting end pieces to see how it is constructed.

My bet is that they slide outwards, or should do, but are stuck.

Al.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

I browsed on Google images and I think this is it:

On this page it shows that the endcap is not just covering the tube, it has a square part that looks like an extension of the base. The whole moulding is called an End Cheek. I think you should grab the base of the moulding and wrench it off.

Reply to
Dave W

That's a bulb? I have to see what your tulips look like.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

There is always some who does things correctly:-) I would have followed some of BigAl's advice. I would have just smashed the lamp.

Reply to
ARW