help pls- rawl plugs in 1" thick plaster

hi-

I'm trying to fit some wide window archetraves. They are so wide I need to fix them to the wall as well. The problem is that the wall has probably about an inch of old plaster covering it,

Someone told me to use 3" screws and rawl plugs (I guess the idea being that 3" screws would get back to the brick work).The problem is that my rawl plugs are only 1" deep. They say to use a 6mm drill but the plugs won't go beneath the surface of the plaster, even after being pushed in- ie they remain flush with the surface of the wall. They obviously don't even reach the brickwork behind.

Can someone please advise me as to what to do please?

thanks very much

Reply to
vet26

Use a hammer.

Reply to
dennis

Drill the hole to 3 inches, put the plug in and put the screw slightly into the plug, then tap it in with a hammer until the plug hits the back of the hole, then screw it home

Reply to
Phil L

You can use hammer fixings like these

or wall plugs without the lip that can be pushed in like these
'd use the hammer fixings - Wickes, B&Q sell them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If its just for architrave then you dont need a strong hold. You have 2 easy options. One is to hammer the rawl plug in to below the surface so that they go fully into the brick. The other is to use the old method of a wooden plug (length of dowell) hammered into the hole and the screwed into. I would avoid anything too strong (like straight hammer-ins) as they might split the brick being so close to the brick edge as they are. Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

You have to make sure the screw can't hit the bottom of the hole though or it won't hold properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)