Help on new Gas boiler

The day has come, 20 yrs in when a new boiler is needed. British gas do not seem to quote any price for replacement till an adviser visits me. I notice you can buy internet sourced boilers for =A3600+vat or so, and wonder if it is feasible to do that and get someone to fit it? Or am in living in a dreamworld and am looking at a =A33,000 nightmare from British Gas??

Help and advice much appreciated. PJ

Reply to
morrispjb

Not a dream world at all.

Get British Gas in so they can offer some free advice. But don't go with them. They are in most cases priced a lot higher than anyone else.

A local firm will probably do the same job with the same boiler for a good percentage less. And also guarantee the work, provide service contracts and give good customer service. Shop around.

The cheapest option would of course be to source it on the internet and get all the piping fitted by a plumber. Then get a gas engineer in (Corgi) to certify the gas install. A heating engineer who does both might work out a little more expensive. You might however need some help on the design and speccing out.

As an example I had my boiler replaced. Quote from BG was =A35000. Of which only =A31000 was the actual kit. I managed to get a local plumber to design/fit it all for =A3500 and his mate who was Corgi registered did the remaining gas work. Price of the boiler and bits was roughly the same. Ended up saving over =A33000 on British Gas price for similar work.

Reply to
Londoncityslicker

Neither. Get British Gas in for a laugh, but tell them on arrival that time is limited and they have (say) 30 minutes.

Then call in two or three local firms (try to get recommendations). British Gas will be no better and may be worse in terms of the job done.

BG will be the most expensive. For example, I was quoted £3,250 by BG (that includes a £600 "discount". I had slightly more work done, a more thorough job (in my experience) and a quicker start from a local man, at £1948.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are quite a few people on here who will tell you how crap BG are and how expesive they are. If you beleive them then dont even bother ringing them,just ring local tradesmen and get quotes. After all,what is he pointing wasting theres and your time if they are crap and they overcharge? There is no logic to it is there?

Seek recommendations-get quotes from local tradesmen. Forget about buying the boiler yourself and getting it fitted as its unlikely that anyone will do it for you. That would be like buying a pack of best quality A4 vellum and taking it round your solicitors in the hope that they will write their expensive letters on it for you at a cheaper rate.

Reply to
Psst

Read the Boiler Choice faq as a starting point. There is also a lot of stuff in the dik wiki.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What the f*ck is a dik wiki, is it akin to a dik head?

Reply to
Chas