Help on finding a 17mm drill

Have to drill a load of accurate clearance holes in wood for 16mm bolts, so I am looking for a 17mm drill bit. Need to be able to drill a depth of 150mm Would prefer an Auger bit .. but would consider other options - but NOT a spade/flat bit as they would not allow clean straight holes. .

Anybody know of a good source for drills ? .... tried Googling, Aminster, Screwfix, eBAy no luck so far.

Reply to
Osprey

My preference would be for this:

17MM X 200MM COMB.AUGER BIT BAHCO CAT-9526-17 Ref: 6175T83 £10.40 + VAT
every Bahco tool I have had has been excellent.

If you are a cheapskate there's this:

Steve Firth

I would of thought a 16mm bolt would fit in a 16mm hole? and if it didn't a light tap on the bolt would send it through,particulary in wood.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|Osprey wrote: |> Have to drill a load of accurate clearance holes in wood for 16mm |> bolts, so I am looking for a 17mm drill bit. Need to be able to drill |> a depth of 150mm |> Would prefer an Auger bit .. but would consider other options - but |> NOT a spade/flat bit as they would not allow clean straight holes. . |>

|> Anybody know of a good source for drills ? .... tried Googling, |> Aminster, Screwfix, eBAy no luck so far. | |I would of thought a 16mm bolt would fit in a 16mm hole? and if it didn't a |light tap on the bolt would send it through,particulary in wood.

Remember everything has a tolerance. With my luck the bolts would be slightly over 16mm and the holes slightly under. Turning the bolts in the wood would prove impossible. :-( I would go for Steve Firth's suggestions.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Most woods change size with variations in their moisture content and it is not always desirable for the bolt to be a tight fit in the hole. Deck chair hinges are a case that comes to mind.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Great ... much beeter thna waht my other option was of a Blacksmiths Drill

Reply to
Osprey

Great ... much better than my other option of a Blacksmiths Drill

Reply to
Osprey

Not really , if the holes were going through 30mm or so then a bash in would have worked, in may case the wood is 150mm thick, and when you drill that depth in softwood, when you remove the drill the hole is invariably smaller - wood compression etc. So you need a clearance drill ... OK for 16mm the formal clearance drill is 16.25mm, won't find that easily hence going for 17mm.

Reply to
Osprey

Steve .. ... you are responsible for me just spending a lot of money at "ToolFast" :-)

Thanks for the link .. not come across them before, surprising how many things you can buy once you start looking around the site.

Reply to
Osprey

And that's the line to maintain when your wife checks the bank statement.

Reply to
Steve Firth