Help me with my dishwasher (real diy!)

Hello, I've got an indesit dishwasher (yeah yeah) that I've had for the last 5 years - model DG5000WG. The recirculating pump is the same as the second one down at http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/Ezee_FixSparesShop12_Motor_224.html and the impeller spindle seal has gone.
I removed the pump, removed the impeller housing and cut it open around the glued seam. The seal is a ring of hard plastic (at the motor end) connected to a short rubber tube which is attached to the impeller, with a spring inbetween. The rubber tube has split.
Now, being tight as I am I'm reluctant to spend 100 quid on a complete new motor for a couple of quid part. I doubt I can buy the exact spare so does anyone have any other suggestions? Are these things pretty standard if I can find a pump rebuild kit somewhere? I've tried using silcone sealant to repair the rubber part but it doesn't adhere very well and starts to leak again halfway into the wash cycle.
Thanks!
Steve

Contact Indesit/Merloni directly, and ask for an impeller seal for that model. If it is the same as earlier models, the impeller is usually a left handed thread fixing, and the seal just pushes onto the impeller shaft, the seal then compresses when tightened against the plastic ring on the motor.
My brother has a dishwasher that has stopped taking in water, sorry I don't know the model (Bosch slimline I think) but I could find out, seeing this thread reminded me of his problem. There isn't a problem with the water feed as it is t'd off of the washing machine feed and has been since I installed it 2 years ago and the washing m/c works fine. Where should I look for any obvious problems? If necessary I can find the make/model but I would have thought basically all dishwashers work on the same principle.
Hope somebody can help as he doesn't have a lot of money and can neither afford an engineers 'call out charge' or to purchase a new one.
TIA
John

My elderly Bosch does this from time to time. Mine has some sort of self latching valve with a diaphragm in it in the cold feed (try as I might I have never worked out why). Sometimes it refuses to operate. You can encourage it by pushing up underneath where a pin protrudes. I suspect dirt gets in occasionally. On mine you remove the cover over the lower section and it's right at the front (near the mains leads - careful!).
Probably only a 20% chance it's the same problem, but you never know...
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Presuambly either a faulty inlet valve or programmer. Inlet valves are usually easy nuff to replace, but not really programmers. I'd clip a meter on the valve and see if its being driven correctly. Also its worth a look to check it isnt clogged up with something.
But if you dont know how to do it safely, dont. Ass now covered.
Regards, NT

Yes, well called at 5:05pm to be met with a recorded message saying that the opening hours are 9:30 - 5:30 and the office is now closed....
The seal does work how you say but the impeller housing is a sealed unit. I had to take a saw to it to get to the seal so I expect that one can only buy the complete unit, especially as the mounting frame for the housing is rivetted to the motor (i.e I doubt the motor is available seperately either, at least not for this model although I'm sure the same motor is used elsewhere).
If I can get a seal for an earlier model that would fit that would be fine but I'd have to know which were the earlier models!
I'll call them again (merloni's "spares direct") tomorrow but this time allowing for their telephonists slackness.

You make it sound so easy! Called the spares line this morning and the woam hung up 'cos she couldn't find the wash pump. Called again and spoke to a very helpful lady and as suspected the whole pump/motor assembly is only available as a complete unit.
The seal is a bellows type sprung mechanical seal (like the ones found on http://www.tgsuk.com/tgsseal1.htm ) so I'll see if I can get one the right size.
wrote in message >

It was easier with the earlier models, (before Indesit was hijacked by Ariston and Merloni), the seals were available separately, the motors could be stripped down easily, and repairs were relatively straightforward. I worked for Indesit for 15 years, but left shortly after they were taken over in 1990, before then, I would have recommended Indesit to anyone.
adder wrote:

How about a large bit of adhesive lined heatshrink over the pipe?
--
Cheers,

John.