help kitchen cooker wiring

Just bought a new electric single oven + Gas hob with 'mains spark', and require some advice as to cable sizing etc.

(This is to be a totaly new circuit as only had gas cooker previously) Practical side shouldn't be a problem as have wired additional sockets, extended ring mains etc before.

Information from oven instructions.

2.15KW Connection Via 13amp Socket outlet/spur box min 13amp fuse + (2.5mm2 3core butyl insulated cable) or cooker control circuit 20amp fuse + (2.5mm2 pvc/pvc T&E) Must have dipole switch fitted.

Hob comes supplied with cable and 13A plug.

Mains cable run will be aproximatly 5m, mainly though ceiling, then chased into wall.

Would the following be OK?

Starting at the CU

  1. 32A Mcb
  2. 6mm2 T&E
  3. 20A DP Switch (within 2m of unit)
  4. 6mm2 T&E
  5. 13A Double socket(unswitched - (labeled specifically to say cooker circuit?))
  6. butyl insulated cable + 13amp plug to oven unit

This would also allow the hob to be plugged in.

Any additional advice/comments welcome.

Reply to
belgarion

Make this switch 32A.

That'll all work fine. The only thing I *may* do differently is use unswitched fused spurs in place of the two plugs, the reason being that some ovens will use close to the 13A and can overheat the plug and socket arrangement although at just over 2 KW you should be fine with the socket. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Why are you using a 32A mcb, these are really for a ring circuit, I would use a

20A mcb for this dedicated radial circuit, if you used the oven at full capacity you would draw under 10A so there would be enough capacity there.
Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

On 01 Mar 2004 22:33:02 GMT, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wheelbarrowbob) strung together this:

Think of the future. It's a lot easier to put a 32A supply in now just in case rather than realise later. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

32A DP switches don't appear to be very common(?) compared to 20A & 45A. (I found one on
and it seems expensive. twice the cost of a 20A or 45A)

Would it be possible to use a 45A switch ? if so would i need to change anything else (mcb/cable)?

Reply to
belgarion

On 1 Mar 2004 23:41:42 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@infomill.com (belgarion) strung together this:

You could use a 45A switch, as long as everything on the circuit is rated at\above the rating of the fuse\mcb you'll be fine. As you'll notice from my other post I would go for the 32A circuit but if you really want to you can downgrade the whole circuit to 20A, (with a 20A mcb, 4mm cable and 20A switch), but then you're limited in the future. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch