Help in costing a new toilet

I am looking at some properties so I have limited access at the moment, that would come with second visits to the properties. A few of them may be suitable but lack a downstairs loo. One of them has a large utility that could be used.

At the moment I have to assume it is a normal wooden floor (not concrete) so would have access to under floor area. As there is a wash machine in utility room I also assume there is a waste pipe and water supply.

Now would I require a larger waste pipe for toilet (I think yes) and would this be relatively easy for a plumber to connect to existing toilet waste? I am probably capable of building the partition wall and door so I would do that. Would need plumber to install hardware.

Not counting the cost of hardware and if there are no major issues what would be a ballpark figure (scotland) for the above plumbers work. Would I also require planning permission assuming no structural change apart from adding a partition wall. If so would I need professional drawings of some kind?

Any guidance appreciated. I am just trying to budget at the moment £1k £3k £5k I just dont know.

Reply to
SS

You need to get a 4" soil pipe from the WC to a main sewer pipe and it has to have a 1 in 40 fall.

The best bet is to get the WC as close to the main stack as possible.

You will need to create a WC room with a washbasin, extractor fan, electric light etc.

This will probably not need planning permission but will need a Building Warrant.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You need to get a 4" soil pipe from the WC to a main sewer pipe and it has to have a 1 in 40 fall.

The best bet is to get the WC as close to the main stack as possible.

You will need to create a WC room with a washbasin, extractor fan, electric light etc.

This will probably not need planning permission but will need a Building Warrant.

Owain

Get a toilet with a handle flush. Do NOT get one with a button flush.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

SS,

Just a thought that may make things easier and cheaper.

To cut some of the work installing a 4" soil pipe for the toilet, have you thought about a Saniflo Macerator?

See a video here

of the installation.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

*YOU* can repair it *when* it gos wrong.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh, they're not that bad. We have two dual-flush button cisterns here and both work fine - one for nearly ten years, the other for three so far.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Don't do it! You need to be certifiably insane to install one those.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

(%EMAIL) wibbled on Friday 18 February 2011 21:11:

Nooooooo!

(Google this group for Saniflo to see why)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or search for "saniflo not working".

Reply to
Skipweasel

Posting Via Dave, but!

Gentlemen, it was merely a suggestion (as Michael Winner might say) that could make things easier (and in some cases is the only answer to sticking a 'bog' in some places) - but I must agree that I wouldn't have one myself.

AH well, I knew that today was going to the 'one of them days'. A leaking petrol tank on the car (an arm and a leg job), a rear brake partially seized on aforesaid car, a slight altercation with SWMBO - and now this reaction - where's the bourbon? ROTFL

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Mine has been a nightmare. Long story. It has taken me a month to make it work right.... touches wood. Flimsy and badly designed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

any *good* builder can do water plumbing. Some of them haven't quite grasped the "water runs downhill" aspect yet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, searching for 'saniflo' alone will do just fine...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Just be thankful you don't have a blocked Saniflo!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Having installed one and used it for over 15 years I'd just say that they're not that bad and a handy way of installing a toilet if a 4" soil stack isn't available. Don't be put off by comments from folk who've never installed one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Peter Crosland ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) wibbled on Saturday 19 February 2011

07:42:

Wait until SMBO or a visitor lobs a vampire's teabag down one...

Reply to
Tim Watts

We have one at school operating a single sink. It still manages to cause trouble.

Reply to
Skipweasel

any *good* builder can do water plumbing. Some of them haven't quite grasped the "water runs downhill" aspect yet.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if they didn't routinely install things that need to take account of this.

After all no-one calls in a plumber to install guttering, do they?

tim

Reply to
tim....

Course they do , There are still many lead lined gutters around that need repair and on listed buildings you may have install replacements if too far gone to mend. Or didn't you know what a real plumber is capable of, or the origin of the word Plumber?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And how many bits of guttering are installed level, up hill to the down spout or with low/high spots?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice