Help identifying wheel (slightly OT)

Just bought a horse trailer which has come without a spare wheel. It's an old Ward, i.e. not one of the big names or I would be able to check with the manufacturers.

The wheels on it are labelled

MEFRO 43554101

ET39

5 1/2J x 14 H2

It's running on 6 ply195R14C's which look like a reasonably common light commercial tyre (850 kg per tyre @ 450 kPa).

I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't have a spare because they are compatible with a Landy or other tow vehicle. Can anyone suggest where I might find a reasonable priced spare? A quick google didn't provide any obvious answers.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
newshound

"newshound" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only other thing you need to know is the PCD - measure between two opposite holes if it's four stud. If it's five, measure between two adjacent and multiply by 1.7

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks, havn't had a chance to measure that yet (it is 5 stud). I wondered whether ET 39 might define this.

Reply to
newshound

You are missing some key information about the wheel. How many studs does it have, what diameter are they (typically M12 using a 17mm socket for the nut or bolt, or M14 using a 19mm) and what is the PCD (pitch circle diameter) of the wheel fixings?

Reply to
Bruce

"newshound" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, that's the offset - the distance between mounting face and centre line in mm.

Thinking about it, you'll also want to measure the diameter of the centre hole, since that actually centralises the wheel on the hub. As well as the diameter of the studs (as mentioned by Bruce), what's the seat angle of the bolts? You can get around that last one by going for a full set of five with appropriate bolts/nuts, or by just keeping a spare set of 'em handy if they're different...

14" 5-stud isn't a common combo, though - I suspect you're looking at something trailer-specific.

Wild guess...

Adrian

ET39 denotes an offset. The offset between the centreline of the wheel rim and the mating face of the wheel (to the hub) is 39mm.

You still need the bolt diameter and PCD (pitch circle diameter).

Reply to
Bruce

Have a look in a scrap yard at their range of wheels, One near me in Cardiff has about 100 - 150 wheels on a huge display rack. You might get lucky.

You'll need an accurate measurement of the hub diameter for example I have Vaux wheels with a hub diameter of about 56mm but I have also got some mitsubishi/daewoo wheels with a hub dia of 55mm if it wasn't for the hub diameter being too small by 1mm these wheels would fit my Vaux it's rather irritating.

Reply to
freepo

I was thinking that. But would they go to the bother of having special wheels made?

The Rover P6/SD1 has 5 stud 14". Dunno the offset. The size of the centre hole might help identify it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that sounds like trailer specific wheels: I came across them on a portable office from British Rail. I have a trailer with horsebox wheels which is the same centre arrangement but 15 inch, I then found that Commer van wheels would also fit (15inch?). Somewhere like Indespension would probably have them.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

or were they CF bedford? CF wheels are 14 inch and 5 stud. I have some here if you want me to double check any dimensions, there should be plenty of those in breakers/ebay.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nonsense. The same size (diameter, width, tyre) was used on VW T3 Transporters and Caravelles between 1979 and 1991.

The question is, what is the bolt diameter and PCD?

The VW wheels referred to were 5 M14 studs on a 112mm PCD.

Reply to
Bruce

mefro wheels are in germany. the tech spec shet is here:

includes english

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Good detective work, Watson! ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks to all for the useful steers, especially the data sheet. I'll be checking the brakes in the next few days so that will give me a chance to make the various measurements. I suspect that it is a trailer specific wheel because the central part has a relatively wide flat area, unlike most car/lorry/van wheels.

Reply to
newshound

Not always. Some are lug-centric.

Andy