HELP: halogen vs energy-saving light bulb.... woes :S

+--------------------------------------+ \ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / \ \ 1 9 / \ 0 \ 10 / \ \ TROLL-O-METER / \ \ / \ \ / \___\______________________/ \ / \....................../ +----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | TROLLS | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Have you cracked getting a decent light output replacement headlamp for the Dodge Intrepids 95-99? yet?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

1) No Intrepids in the UK 2) Two completely different bodystyles in your year range 3) Question asked and answered elsewhere 4) ...
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

MR11s use GU4 bases. MR16s use, IIRC, GU5.3. Some low voltage halogen capsules use G6.5. I have no idea what, if anything, uses a G6.3.

Reply to
Simon Waldman

In the '80s and '90s, it seemed *very* trendy to use PARs in plain downlighter cans virtually everywhere. New home construction, old home renovation, new offices, old offices, etc. I remember seeing a typical kitchen rework going to 11x downlighter can, each with a 90w PAR38. Floor was nice and hot, but counters were cold, so add about 10x F15T8s into the mix, which gets the counters but not the cooktop, so add 2x 75w A-line into the range hood...sheesh.

8x eyeball cans with HIR 54w PAR38 wide floods: MUCH BETTER overall illumination (floor hot enough to see adequately; work surfaces and cabinets well and evenly illuminated), undercounter F15s no longer needed, 1/3 the power.

The quick 'n' dirty means where installing eyeball cans isn't practicable or affordable? Track lighting.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

1) Not quite correct. Albeit, very few.

So, sadly, overall, that's a No then!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Please take a look at these photographs of my halogen light bulbs. The only thing written on them are 12V 50W and some brand name. Please can someone help me identify the proper code name for them. Thanks!

KevinGPO

help). In some cases, they've still got the lampholder's retaining ring attached to them (which is not part of the bulb).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Now that we have identified that my bulbs are MR-16:

you advise me on the lowest-energy / energy-saving-light-bulb-like bulbs that I can purchase for the socket type that I have. Or are the bulbs am using the cheapest/lowest-energy I can use?

I prefer using the energy-saving light bulbs (11W, etc.) Bayonet B22 or ES base fitting. Is it possible getting a convertor from the current sockets I have, or do I have to get an electrician to replace the sockets?

Best regards Kevin

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
KevinGPO

In message , KevinGPO writes

You could theoretically install 12V 20W lamps in the same style, but depending on the type of transformer and the loading, the voltage may rise slightly. If it's 11.5V to start with then that may not be much of an issue. Have you any idea if it's a separate transformer per light or if there's a common transformer?

Another option would be to install the LED version of the lamp, but their output is very low and the white tends to be rather harsh.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

There are halogen lamps with a heat reflecting coating around the bulb. The same light output is achieved with lower energy consumption. In your case you can replace a 50 W lamp with a "new generation" 35 W lamp. Such lamps are manufactured by Osram and Philips for example:

that MR16 halogen lamps are available in different beam angles (spot, flood, wide flood, very wide flood).

More savings could be achieved with compact fluorescent lamps, but they have other dimensions.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian Koch

and were invented by scientists and engineers at GE.

Reply to
Victor Roberts