Help finding..1 1/4 countersunk , japanned screws

anywhere? Anyone? Many thanks

Reply to
richard

Richard,

I don't think there is such an item as "countersunk japanned screw" - at least I've never seen one in the 50 odd years of playing with wood - all I've ever been able to get is the roundhead ones. (If someone here has ever used them, I would be interested to know as well).

Can I ask what you are using them for, and is it essential to use countersunk?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks for reply.Not for me , for a non computer! ,cabinet maker who does work in ye olde houses and and finds pozi's too modern .He currenty paints brass uns black.We al have our strange ways.

Reply to
richard

He'll know then that if he's using ye olde oak, then mild steel screws will turn a shade of black after a while from the tannic acid in it - giving the much-loved ancient effect.

BTW, as a very old chippie myself, I've used the same painting trick on the odd occasions when using black tee hinges on internal L&B doors which have been clear varnished (shudder).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thankfuly they are not a figment of my imagination, found some nettlefolds 6 x 1 1/2'' online.So they did exist. rarer than rocking horse poo it seems

Reply to
richard

Richard,

Could you post the link to that site please?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Loads of the things - although the heads are a shallow dome above a countersink, not flat. I've only ever had them in smaller sizes, for attaching japanned metalware such as lay-on hinges and chest handles.

Mine were bought decades ago and now live in some very fragile green- label Nettlefolds boxes, so they're too old even to be GKN.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have found someone with em! I'll post a link AFTER they have my order

Reply to
richard