Help - can't understand old 2 way switch

I'm wanting to replace an old 2 way switching light system with a single one in our front room as I've filled in one of the doors. I can't make sense of the old light switches though - I can't even work out which is the master.....

Switch one

Common has both yellow and red, L1 has blue

Switch two

Common has blue, L1 has red

This lot all feeds back to a junction box somewhere or other in the floorboards which I really really don't want to try to track back to.

Can someone tell me which wire is which? Final aim is to remove switch two as it isn't needed - but I can't even work out which is the old master switch.

Beware spamtrap if mailing direct

Reply to
Robert Irwin

Non of that makes any sense, there needs to be a minimum of 3 wires to each switch (one to each terminal), can you state what colour (and the number of) each wire that goes to each switch terminal - ie.;

SW one

Com = 1x Red L1 = 1x Blue L2.....etc.

When you say you intend to remove the switch I assume you mean just plate the box and wires, not completely remove and paper over ? If it's the letter then you are going to need to lift floorboards.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Are you *sure* that you've got 2-way switching. This requires wires to all three terminals (COM, L1 and L2) in each of the two switches - which doesn't seem to fit with your description.

As far as I am aware, both switches in a 2-way switching setup have equal status - there *isn't* a master.

Reply to
Set Square

If it has been wired with the 'conversion' method then there will be a master switch, this will be the original switch - not only will there be the live feed but there will also be the switched feed joined with a terminal block.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

With a bit more digging found the other end of yellow taped over behind switch 2, so disconnected now at both ends as presumed useless.

I'll probably have to just connect remaining two wires in switch 2 and put blanking faceplate as its really not an option to start lifting boards upstairs to trace back.

Anyone got a link to a diagram of the circuit you describe above - I've only come across master/slave setups before thus my assumption.

robert

Reply to
Robert Irwin

Is this any good?