Help beginner with two small leaks ...

Hi all,

I've got two small leaks and no "real" tools. Are these something I can fix myself after a quick trip to B&Q?

do I need? Will I have to solder the upstairs leak (probably beyond my current skills - but I'll have a go if its simple enough ) or is there some kind of cheat fix?

Cheers, Lordy

Reply to
lordy

On 26 Oct 2006 12:44:58 GMT someone who may be lordy wrote this:-

When did the leaks start?

For the boiler leak try and *gently* tighten up the nut by up to 1/8 of a turn. This may compress the olive inside the joint enough to seal up the leak.

For the floor leak, assuming it is coming from one of the nuts, try the same thing. If it is not coming from one of the nuts replace the joint with something similar after draining the water. You will probably be able to get a middle bit of the same length and put it in place of the existing middle bit, re-using the nuts.

Turn the heating off first. Beware that tightening the nuts might make things slightly worse, usually just at first and a little more tightening seals it. However, don't tighten them too much because then they are likely to fail. Be ready with towels and bowls just in case.

If that doesn't fix it then it is probably time to get help.

Reply to
David Hansen

You could just replace the fitting upstairs which you will get from B&Q no problem. Its not been soldered but merely tightened with a spanner so you should manage it ok. From the picture I'm not sure if it is your heating system or just water pipes. Just make sure before you undo the fitting that the system has either been isolated or the water is off.

Although first off I would just try slackening both leaking joints and applying some Boss White

which you'll get from B&Q and then tighten the joints again. Again make sure the water is off or system drained before undoing the joint.

Your mate that has done a plumbing course would manage this no problem if you feel you can't but it should be relatively easy.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Thanks Steven & David (and any other replies) , all advice taken on board!

Lordy

Reply to
lordy

They've been going for about a year. Slowed down to zero in the summer, presumably because heating was off. and maybe limescale making gaps smaller (Water is very hard here). Now I have to do some plastering because of the upstairs leak. So I'll be back for plastering tips!!

Thanks for the advice.

Lordy

Reply to
lordy

Just one tip. You really need 2 spanners to tighten a compression joint. One to hold the thing you're tightening against still, and the other to tighten the actual nut. I prefer Mole grips for the former because, in the right position, it can leave both hands free (one to mop the brow)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Unless the fitting is an angle fastened to a bit of pipe, then one spanner will do.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Neither are soldered fittings so that wouldn't be the way to go. (Solder fittings have no nuts and threads - they work by capillary action.)

The boiler leak could be from either the screw thread into it, or the compression fitting below. If it is the compression fitting, tightening might work. The same applies to the one under the floor. You'll need a heavy duty something to grip the body while you turn the nut. A Stilson is favourite.

If it turns out to be the treaded end of the fitting into the boiler, you've not (IMHO) got any option but to drain down remove it and re-make using PTFE tape.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)