help before bedtime-the bath is vibrating

My bath is making a distinct hum. I have switched the mains water off, open ed and closed the taps, sink,bath,kitchen and outside and still the bath is humming. I can feel it vibrate. The last few feet of pipe to the bath are plastic, I cant feel it vibrate, or the copper pipe they are attached to. T he cold tap does produce water-hammer when the outside tap is on, but this is different. It could be water hammer, but the water is off. Any ideas how to stop the vibration? Central heating is off, cant see or hear a source of the noise other than t he bath itself.

Reply to
misterroy

ened and closed the taps, sink,bath,kitchen and outside and still the bath is humming. I can feel it vibrate. The last few feet of pipe to the bath ar e plastic, I cant feel it vibrate, or the copper pipe they are attached to. The cold tap does produce water-hammer when the outside tap is on, but thi s is different. It could be water hammer, but the water is off.

the bath itself.

Solved. Flipping electric toothbrush left switched on the shelf by the bath ,doh

Reply to
misterroy

Ha ha reminds of when my son was staying with me, he is RAF and stayed on an airbase (noisy) So when he stayed with us for a few days they put the young baby to bed. On two of the nights I could hear water running so checked in most rooms toilets etc for some sort of leak or a drip that was making the tank in the loft continually fill, couldnt find it and it was driving me nuts! Then I discovered that they put a CD on that was white light noise (or whatever you call it) and it sounded like running water. They used that to drown the noise at the RAF base when baby was put to bed. Honestly I spent hours trying to source the leak and of course never checked the room baby was in. Family who needs them :-)

Reply to
ss

Blimey some people would pay a lot of money for this... Obviously something is vibrating and the bath is resonating or amplifying the sound.Is this a metal or plastic bath?

Do you have any kind of pump nearby, central heating mainly. Normally water has to be moving from one place to another to cause this kind of effect.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, very odd, I would not have thought there would have been enough energy in one of those to make this happen. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

the bath is steel and thicker than standard. The toothbrush was in a mug, o n a shelf which is level with the head end of the bath. The shelf is not a close fit to the bath,the house predates right angles, the gap is mostly fi lled with silicone, then the shelf was tiled. I had convinced myself that the noise was water-hammer and feared a burst i n the night. I could hear the noise from the next room, and the walls are s olid block. Bloody toothbrush.

Reply to
misterroy