Help, am I poisioning myself

Close but no cigar. Putting hot chicken in the freezer isn't a good idea. Let it cool after cooking before freezing. Make sure that it is reheated thoroughly after removal from the freezer.

The biggest hazard is cross contamination. People tend to have filthy habits that they don't realise are filthy habits. Don't use the same knife or the same cutting board for raw meat and cooked meat. That's where most cases of food poisoning originate.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hurry up and die. There is a housing shortage you know, Don't be anstiocial.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We ate the cat.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't WANT a combi!

And I don't know how to install it either.

Doesn't it come with instructions? You could follow those.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't know the stats for deaths due to eating home prepared meat but I'd bet that they're not as high as deaths from road accidents.

I know that accidents in the home are many but the thread was specifically about the danger of heating frozen cooked meat. I doubt that there's a greater risk than going on a car journey.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Interesting. That's what I said.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My packet of bacofoil doesn't quote cat ... ! D'ya give it 55 minutes/Kg @ 190 degC?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

A silly point Mary... lots of people take lots of risks, and most survive. But a few dont.

Reply to
N. Thornton

I'm with Mary generally on this topic and related parts.

We, as a country, are becoming entirely too ghey these days...

We are supposed to bleach everything, disinfect floors every 5 minutes, put bloo stuff in the bog and eat everything within 2 days of purchase...

Until we have no immune systems left...

It's a matter of being sensible.

I've just eaten a lump of emmental (sp?) cheese that went 2 days past it's use-by date (gasp). FFS - cheese is a method of preservation anyway and hard cheeses usually only get mouldy - that does no harm to most people.

I also remember having a rather nice whole salami a friend brought back from Hungary, in a suitcase. Storage instructions: hang in ventilated space out of direct sunlight. Kept for weeks (probably good for months, but I ate it!)

If freezing fresh food, do it soon after buying (that's just better, obviously). If freezing cooked food, make sure it's well cooked, then cool and insert into freezer. If freezer has a "superfreeze" knob, use it.

I wouldn't, for example, put hot food into a freezer - it will heat up everything else compromising your other goodies.

The one thing about freezing fresh food is ice crystal formation usually bursts the cell walls of the foodstuff. This makes the food taint quicker when thawed - so cook that thawed uncooked chicken promptly. If cooked, you probably already knackered the cellular structure, so no difference, except you've cooked it and killed the bugs.

I find no problem with using a slow cooker on frozen stuff. Two things contribute to an upset stomach - bugs and the toxins they produce.

Assuming you slow cook (use the auto-high heat option if you have it) then the bugs aren't going to have long to live before you kill them, leaving some residual toxins. If that's acceptibly low, no probs. Just make sure that the food is piping hot (right to the middle) before you eat it.

Mary's point about that not working for whole chickens is probably due to the lack of convection of hot liquids inside the chicken. There's a high thermal mass and a bulky insulated body so it won't heat in a sufficiently short time. For chunks (esp. with no bones) or mince, I see no issues there. My mother regularly slow-casseroled from frozen and she was qualified in domestic science and ran a student hostel in London in her younger days.

Also bear in mind that the body gets used to its local environment - I'm usually averagely careful when cooking for my family - but extra careful as a courtesy if cooking for visitors. No-one's died yet. Any my baby daughter is probably busy eating random passing bugs off the carpet as we speak... (she has a taste for ants, and nearly had an earwig the other day, before mummy noticed).

Back onto the OP's precise point: I usually don't eat frozen cooked meats, but since he raised it, I don't see any wrong with it if the meat was well cooked beforehand and frozen promptly after cooling. After all, that Cristmas turkey usually languishes in the fridge for 4-5 days before final consumption.

Cheers

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

*Suspicious look*

Him using kigglerams. We'm don' loike kigglerams 'ere! An' we'm only usin' centigrades for *low* tempratchers.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I must admit, I wouldn't conceive of eating meat from the freezer that isn't thoroughly cooked AFTER defrosting. I would take some convincing that it is safe to cook before, but not after freezing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's horses for courses ... (quickly point out that one _doesn't_ eat equines) ... there's nothing wrong IMHO with slicing meat off a cooked joint and freezing it in appropriate containers; then one can make sarnies of whatever you've got in the freezer - ham, pork, beef, etc. When using the stored items for sandwiches, one only extracts a few slices and -if you remember in time- let them thaw 'naturally' ; or if you're in a hurry- use the microwave-generating device and jiggle their water-molecules. Naturally, such meat is not cooked AFTER freezing. It's cooked, cooled, sliced and frozen in as hygienic as kitchen as one can accomplish. Thereafter extracted, thawed, slapped between two slices of bread and eaten! You know it makes sense.

{btw: pork sausages are good for this too - cook a big batch then freeze). In my experience sausages are the items occupying the critical path on cooking a fried breakfast and having a supply that you've bogof'd at the supermarket cooked and frozen makes sense. There's one big cook time, one washing up but lots of eating opportunities.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Just what was the logic of changing the colour coding of fire extinguishers to just plain red?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote | > [1] AKA 'the fire-extinguisher formerly coloured black' | Just what was the logic of changing the colour coding of | fire extinguishers to just plain red?

The fire-extinguisher manufacturers took a moment from considering their profits to convince the government that lots of new extinguishers would be a valuable contribution to safe-tee?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , N. Thornton writes

ISTR a few posts a while back regarding NaOH ...

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Everything has some danger but this doesn't sound worse than any other form of freezing food. Carry on as is.

Reply to
G&M

In message , mike ring writes

(Tries to remember the words to Eskimo Nell)

"I'm going forth to the frozen North Where the peckers are hard and strong, Back to the land of the frozen stand Where the nights are six months long.

"It's hard as tin when they put it in In the land where spunk is spunk. Not a trickling stream of lukewarm cream, But a solid, frozen chunk.

No idea what they're talking about ...