Hello is this the home of the Muppets?

Judging by the posts of today, maybe it is! Now its like this. I have a shed door that used to open fine, but now as it opens it hits the concrete outside. I think the concrete its built on has heaved at the back end a bit as we are on clay, tipping it off of level. Other than trying to jack it up a bit more at the front I'm at a loss. Has anyone else had this sort of problem. I fear it may mean a new shed in the end as this one is quite old and in need of tlc, so jacking it up is going to make it tend to fall to bits! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How big is the overlap? The simplest is to take a bit of the door, with an obvious defect when closed. Alternatively attack the concete with an angle grinder, in grinding mode.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It is more likely that the door hinges have worn or their fixings become loose causing the door to move slightly and foul the floor.

Reply to
Peter Parry

An offset hinge (the type where the hinge barrel is extended away from the plates by a couple of inches) at the bottom is the solution to sloping floors. That way the door hangs level when shut, but then rises at an angle as it opens.

Reply to
John Rumm

mil's shed had a similar problem, only it wasn't the base that had moved, just the shed leaned over a bit towards the door. I forced a piece of timber between the top of the shed and a nearby tree, just to push it back into position, then put some cross braces on the sides and the fixed panels either side ofthe door, all on the inside the shed. Door is fine now.

Reply to
Davidm

Or use rising-butt hinges.

Reply to
Dave W

That works if you only need a little bit of extra lift. The offset hinge point trick can give you a significant rise at the far end of the gate / door.

Reply to
John Rumm