Height of Power Outlets and dual ccts ?

Q1 Is there a minimum height above the floor (or skirting board) for a

13A socket outlet ?

Q2. If the downstairs and upstairs lighting are on different circuits is it permitted to have both circuits present in one switch outlet. I'm thinking of the typical two-way switching for the stairs light where the light on the stairs would be on the upstairs cct but the switch downstairs may be a 2 or 3 gang switch also controlling downstairs lights and hence both the upstairs and downstairs ccts are present in one switch/box...

Andy

.
Reply to
ac1951

Actually Q1 is 400mm. Q2 I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a moment to cite chapter and verse.

Reply to
Andrew May

Q1 is no Q2 not sure about

Reply to
Gus Noon

Depends.

It mustn't be so close to the floor that the plug/socket could get damaged (installation must be suitable for its location).

If it's a new build then Part M of the Building Regs (disabled accessibility) apply.

Permitted. It would be prudent to put a note in the back box, or label the cables, indicating this.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is more important to ensure in such circumstances the neutral is tied into the appropriate circuit. My landing light (installed bt a nic/eic registered company) had it's neutral from the upstairs lighting, and the live from downstairs. This came to light after I installed a light (several flourescents fed from the landing light) in the loft. I pulled the fuse on the upstairs lighting circuit in order to move a ceiling rose. When I disconnected the neutrals, fizz bang, and darkness in the loft, accompanied by brown trousers.

Reply to
<me9

Yes an no!

For an existing building you can place them anywhere you want so long as you end up making the building no less accessible to disabled people than it currently is. For new builds one ought to comply with part M of the building regulations (section 8), and this stipulates a minimum height of 450mm from the finished floor level, and a maximum height of

1200mm. Note this applies to switches as well. (Nothing stopping you following these guidelines on refurbishment work either obviously).

(also covered in fig 8A of the OSG)

It is permissible, and usually unavoidable in these situations. I typically wire both hall and landing with two way switches so you can switch either at either location.

Reply to
John Rumm

I hope so:- I have one hall light circuit switched from 5 positions and the switch positioning means they are 'shared' with three lighting circuits. One benefit being that if any circuit trips there will be enough light spill to get down the stairs etc not in total darkness. This to me is far more important safety wise than any safety issue when doing maintenance etc. You can always leave a note inside the box if it worries you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes 450mm.

No. Put any two way shit on the same circuit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While this solution has its attractions, there is no regulatory requirement for doing this, and it may be impossible in larger properties anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not a good idea for hall/stairway. If a circuit trips you loose all the light. If you split it to upstairs downstairs there will probably be enough for an emergency. Oh - you should *never* assume a circuit is dead because you've switched off what you think is the appropriate MCB. House main switch probably - but then it wouldn't matter if there are two circuits in one switch plate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)