Height of my garden wall

Returning to the topic of my sandstone blocks...

I understand that a front boundary wall that abuts on to a highway can be a maximum of 1m high before planning permission has to be applied for.

Can anyone tell me *definitively* where this should be measured from, if the garden behind the wall is a foot or two higher than the pavement in front of it?

There will be a beech hedge behind it in any case.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Can't say definitively, but common sense would suggest 1m from pavement level on the public side. It makes no odds to the community at large whether your garden is higher or lower than the pavement. Any officer from the council coming along to check is just going to check from the public side anyway.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

worth a call I reckon..

sure I've read somewhere that heights of structures (e.g. permitted development outbuilding roofs) are said to be measured from the highest part of the ground around them? I expect there will be variations in the application of the "rules" in all cases :>(

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Rules for decking changed last year, needs PP if more than 30cm off the ground.

Several dicussions with planning bods & nobody can tell me which ground, or what defines ground. They play safe by stating any part of the ground.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So how does that work if the maximum allowed height of the wall is 1m and there is 2 metres difference between the low ground and the high ground?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Then you would need to apply for planing permission if you needed to build a wall > 1m high

Reply to
chris French

Thank you. What happened? Did you get that judgement from your local planners before you started, or did you run into issues after you'd built it? ;-) If you are able to share more information about your experience, I think I'd find this very useful, as I'm keen to avoid drawing attention to myself.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Richard,

In the case of split levels with different owners, the height would be from the ground level of your property.

So in your case, the foundations would obviously have to be below pavement level - and the finished wall height would be 1 metre from *your* garden level (including any capping stones).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I investigated before our fences were replaced last year. Round the back I was satisfied the height was from the natural level of my own land which is about 2ft higher than that surrounding.

Round the front it appeared every planning authority interpreted it differently. Suggest you ask them.

Assume that you are aware of the Party Wall Act 1996 which applies to garden walls adjoining boundaries. Our neighbours are a nightmare so we put up a fence rather than a wall in the end.

Assume there is nothing in the property's covenants restricting walls, fences etc

Reply to
Invisible Man

I think the case is different, if the wall is between properties, from if it is between a property and the highway. Certainly the permitted heights are different (2m and 1m).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I might do that. Or just build it 1m from pavement level. Or even build it 1m back from the pavement and leave a sloping verge in front of it, so the wall no longer abuts the highway.

I'm well aware of that; however I'm not building a wall between properties.

Nope. Although my previous house had a covenant saying that I couldn't use the premises to make bricks.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Richard,

If that was the case, then it would be possible to have a situation where you have a 1 metre high wall up from the pavement, but only a few centimetres above your garden level (if that) - an impossible situation to have, especially with todays paranoia about health and safety.

My initial post was from my past dealings with garden wall rebuilding on several large contracts btw.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Does the height 'limit' include the height of any piers/pillars, or just the actual wall?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IIRC I don't have mining rights for my propose uranium mine, either :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who owns the minerals below your garden?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Lord knows. The queen probably. Land is never owned. Merely leased from the Crown, freehold. You don't sell land, you sell the right to use it. That use is never total.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well the tax man usually has his say. I am not sure that the Lord is allowed to make a claim but the Crown usually sticks it's nose in if money is involved.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You can mine your own coal if you have a license

Reply to
ARWadsworth

found it again see:-

12