Heavy duty toilet seat hinges needed

I need to replace the toilet seat for a disabled person.

He tends to destroy the hinges of the average toilet seat design we've tried so I reckon I need some kind of "industrial" quality hinges!

I've searched Ebay for "heavy duty toilet seat" but they all look similar to what we've tried.

Anyone know of anything suitable or some brands to search for?

Ta

Reply to
Murmansk

"Soft close" hinges are generally much better engineered than the crappy wobbly hinges that seem to have become the standard these days. You may have to change the seat as well but money well spent IMO.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Toilets in the 'Cat A' prison cells I used to visit (professionally, not as a customer :) ) were a one piece stainless steel construction that was designed not to need a seat and be pretty well indestructible. Thinking about it I should have installed them in our holiday cottages - had to change two sets of seats recently !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have seen a seat which had additional locations that fitted around the rim to prevent sideways movement (probably what starts the problem). I reckon you could make something to attach to a wooden seat that would locate the seat to the rim and prevent the leverage wrecking the hinges. I wonder if I saw it at a hospital?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA32A6F27B4788TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

I guess I am suggesting is that you take away the hinge's responsibility for "locating" the seat by using some additional means. Could you make and fit alternative buffers that are shaped to fit into the rim - or around the edge?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Murmansk scribbled...

If you've got the money

Jabba

I don't know but some shops for disabled gadgets seem to be selling complete toilets that look like they are built for a nuclear attack, but I don't suppose you want to swap the whole thing. Its been my experience that the main issue is the plastic rod they use, so presumably replacing that witha metal one of the same diameter might be good. Unfortunately, then you often find the actual seat itself cracks between the little feet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Remap does a fair few such seats. Normally the problem is that the user transfers on to the toilet seat with a degree of sideways momentum rather than sitting straight onto it. The usual solution is to get a well made seat in the first place and then fit L shaped pieces of plastic or stainless steel which just fit inside (or outside depending on the seat and bowl) to support the seat against left/right forces. Don't forget to use stainless steel screws.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Peter Parry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Totally agree Peter. Consider the hinge to be merely a device for allowing the seat to be raised - you then need something else to take care of sideways forces (also due to its position greater leverage is placed on the hinge.) Can you remove a couple of the bump stops and fit something there as Peter proposes. Alternatively try and fashion a couple of suitably profiled replacement buffers.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That's IBIS budget style, me an ex-inmate there many a time.

Ye do hope it's been sanitised correctly before ye place ya botty.

Reply to
Adrian C