Heavier - Clay roof tiles or concrete?

Roofer came to fix a few leaking clay tiles on our original 1932 roof. Chatting to him about doing a new roof, his advice was to stick with the old tiles as the new red concrete tiles (fitted by all our neighbours) were heavy enough to cause eventual structual damage to joists and walls of the house. Anyone concur with this?

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

What sort of concrete tiles - lots of reroofing is done with Redland

49's or similar, about 12"x8" and although each tile is obviously heavier than small plain tiles the overall weight is significantly less. They are though much heavier than slates which is why you often see sagging where tiles have been used to replace slates with no thought of strengthening the roof.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks for the info. Yep, it's those 12"x8" tiles. We will keep the old roof, hasn't majorly let us down as yet :-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C