heating water

Hi I have a hot water tank heated by gas. The only control is a knob that turns the gas off and sets the temperature. So if I want to stop heating the water I have to go to the cupboard and turn it off. It is designed so that the water is kept hot all the time. So should I turn the water off at night and turn it on in the morning or leave it as it is? I.e will it make any significant savings?

Thanks Tricia

Reply to
Tricia

I have come across one system before which had no time or temperature controls. Even a basic time switch here would save a lot of gas. We'd need quite a bit more info to help any further.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 04 May 2006 15:50:21 GMT someone who may be "Tricia" wrote this:-

Assuming you have a cylinder, rather than one of the old square tanks, how big is it roughly? What sort of insulation is fitted to the hot water cylinder, if any? Is it sprayed on or loose?

And thus is losing heat all the time.

How is hot water used in the house? All day or just morning and evening? If the cylinder is well insulated you may well be able to run the boiler for an hour or two each day, say in the evening, which would provide enough hot water for the evening and morning.

Yes.

Are the hot water pipes insulated?

Reply to
David Hansen