Heating Rate of Ordinary Electric Oven ?

Indeedy - except that that's where Adam suggested the oven belongs, so there might be the space.....

Since he's been picking up on the precision of various peoples' attempts to help him, I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the important parameter is not whether the rate is acceptable for an oven of that age, but whetehr it's acceptable for a user in this day and age. Clearly, the answer was no, before he started here.

Reply to
GMM

Hansel and Gretel is the way to measure the oven temperature

Reply to
ARW

Hansel and Gretel is the way to measure the oven temperature

Reply to
ARW

A bit of a stalemate, then.

Which you have been given. Electric ovens are very much a commodity item, and all perform within a fairly close margin of the others.

That is, input power of about 3 kilowatts, and a volume of a few cubic feet. Newer ones have better insulation, so they warm up and hold their heat better than old ones, but they're still within 50% on the warmup time.

Room temperature to 180 or 200C. As implied by other answers. Cooking a meal is not like working in a chemistry lab, where the rate of temperature change can be citical, and accurate temperature control vital. Domestic ovens are considered good if the final temperature is held to within 15C of the temperature on the control knob. That is assuming that the control knob hasn't been moved on a splined shaft, as some of them can be

I take it that English is not your first language, then?

The one where you ask about how fast the temperature should rise in an unknown oven of indeterminate condition? The rate of rise will also vary slightly depending on the room temperature and the power supply voltage.

And you have had a number of answers, all in close agreement. You have been given, in effect, several agreeing opinions on a go/ no go criterion which is as close to what you want as can be given, given the information you have supplied.

An oven of unknown size and model, in unknown condition will have an unknown rate of temperature rise.

If you want better information, you *could* contact the manufacturers, but they would ask you for the model number, which you seem unwilling or unable to supply.

I note that you are posting via DIY banter, which is a web based view of the newsgroup. I also note that you are using a gmail address. These are a major source of vague, badly worded questions on this newsgroup, the vast majority of which can be answered in a few seconds by using any search engine, and the iuse of a gmail address will cause your posts to be unseen and /or ignored by many otherwise helpful people.

Reply to
John Williamson

Which is why an oven thermometer - a fiver, hangs or sits on a shelf and is visible through the window - is a must-have if you want to do any "proper" cooking.

Reply to
Adrian

He's wrong of course, you are in fact a character in a John Buchan novel.

Graham.

Plenty of half a century old ovens would still work; people got rid of them because they look ugly or didn't have thermostats.

A replacement might last less than a decade.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

^ incorrectly

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Incorrect. For one thing, the work is too short to be a novel; it is a lon gish short story (as is obvious from the contents list). And, for another , there is no character in that work whose name is anything like Dr.S.Larti us - it is a mistake to rely on what a search engine finds without reading the whole story, and that URL does not show the whole of the work.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Depends on what temperature you call 'working' - unless you cook everything at the same one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is extremely fast. Have you measured it - or just a guess?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Give the extra line spaces I presume your posting is via Google Groups, which is even worse!!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Mabee he is asking you to guess how much the efficiency would have dropped due to that many years wear and tear and degradation on elements which would be hard to guess unless you had made a statistical study over that many years

Reply to
F Murtz

Adrian wrote in news:l6luus$454$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Check that the door seal hasn't got lost. I had an oven which had a seal that would sometimes stick to the door and pull away. A tennant could easily just dispose of such an annoying item.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

My sister in law once had a new electric double oven that always overheated and burned whatever was in it. The only time it worked reasonably well, but still with wide temperature variations was when both ovens were on at the same time.

An engineer came out twice but it was just the same.

Then I noticed that, in manufacture, the two oven thermostat phils had been neatly routed into each others pockets!

Reply to
Graham.

That is, at this stage, not important. I know what the cook thinks, and you lot do not really need to; but I did give the cook's opinion in my thread-opening post, and that might just possibly be why others did not ask.

You are all ignorant of the actual circumstances; but the important question is the one I asked originally, which is why I asked it.

Thanks to those who gave sensible measurement-based answers.

I also asked a small number of personal friends by E-mail. All, except the one who abstained on account of using a gas oven, also agreed on about 10 C / minute.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

I really don't see how that'd be possible.

Reply to
Adrian

On Sunday 24 November 2013 22:41 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ba-Bum! :)

Reply to
Tim Watts