heating problems

Hi there,

I think I might have a problem with our combi boiler but before I call a plumber out I thought Id ask here.

Basically, at the moment the house feels cold all the time. The radiators are hot but not boiling. I did recently take out a radiator (and not yet replace) and refill the system.

The radiator that I have temporarily removed is in the hall where the thermostat is so this room is cold but Id have thought that this would resuilt in the rest of the house being warmer as the thermostat tries to bring the hall up to temperature.

The thermostat is an old mechanical type and the "click" when it turns on or off is way below the desired level although Im sure there is some degree of inaccruacy in these devices.

However, when I turn the thermostat right up (so the heating should come on), the boiler does not always light up. Should I expect to be on all the time, if the house is trying to be heated or does it have to come on and off (hope that makes sense).

The only other thing I can think of of use is that after refilling the system, although the "boiler off" pressure is between 0.5bar and 1bar as recommended, the hot pressure goes to nearly 2.5bar.

Any ideas?

Thansk

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

YOU DID BLEED THE SYSTEM WHEN YOU REFILLED THE SYSTEM AFTER REMOVING

RAD?

-- Transco_Boo_Hiss

Reply to
Transco_Boo_Hiss

Most of the problems sound like poor circulation. The pressure rise is a problem with the expansion vessel see FAQ below.

Perhaps the auto air bleed on the boiler is closed? Perhaps there is a debris on a return strainer? Perhaps the boiler was isolated using the flow/return isolators and not fully returned to service? perhaps the _boiler's_ thermostat is set too low?

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I did notice the other day that there were a few drips of water coming out of the pressure relief overflow pipe which goes through the outside wall.

Would this support any of your suggestions ?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Please read the FAQ. But the other problem is about either poor circulation or you have the radiators half full of air. (hot at the bottom but less hot/not at the top).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed,

I did read the FAQ but still didnt understand completely. Anyway I think Ill get a plumber in to have a look.

Thanks agian,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

I'm keen to make the FAQ as clear as possible so if you have found something not clear I'd like to know.

Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter. The FAQ for uk.diy is at

Gas fitting FAQ
CH FAQ

Ed Sirett