Heating Oil Tank fuel line regs

/Also because if you needed to repair a solder joint in a pipe that was already in use, you'd need to drain the oil out and clean the pipe thoroughly to get rid of any traces of flammable oil before letting a blowtorch anywhere near it. /Q

Possibly tho once isolated I expect a blowtorch would be a reliable way of drying off the oil before resoldering, as after all, kerosene only burns once vaporised and mixed with air and ignited...

Reply to
JimK

letting a

I was wondering about the adviseabilty or not of resoldering a joint on an oil line. I don't think there would be enough to worry about still on the sides of drained pipe, it'll vapourise and burn off PDQ when the blow lamp gets close.

I was more concerned about heat being conducted down the pipe to were the oil hasn't been drained and vaporising that. Wonkypedia has the flash point between 37 and 65 C which isn't very hot...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've been caught out myself so now I always keep 2 x 20 litres of oil as a reserve just in case I run out during a busy spell. It's not a huge amount, doesn't take up much space, but can be a bit of a lifesaver at times!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've just tried to find out the reason for regs for the white plastic coated copper pipe (which costs a bomb) and there doesn't appear to be any such requirement! The regs about the type of piping you can use are actually quite relaxed and there is *no* requirement for plastic coating.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think you are more in the wilds than I am. We are about a mile off a major trunk road but down a very narrow lane that doesn't really go anywhere. Luckily a snow plough driver lives past us.

We have been hard cut off for longer with occasional breakthroughs but when the wind blows over fields of powder snow a new snow drift quickly re-establishes in the stall zones even when it isn't snowing.

I'd say it was essential if you live in the wilds.

I have three similar containers. Never needed to use them so far.

They leave us until last if things go pear shaped all the engineers get sent to Middlesbrough and Teesside to sort out the cities first rather than the little rural villages of the North York moors and Dales.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I think it is probably a good idea for longevity if you don't want the pipe corroding and leaking underground out of sight.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Is it to do with the this colour pipe has this stuff inside it? Blue = water, yellow = gas, green = cable TV, etc Mind you I don't think those are mandated either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The county councils normally have a gritting map that shows the routes and time scales they try to grit and plough to. We are right on the C3039 that runs down to the village so that gets cleared and kept open if they can. Those with private tracks tend to park a car at the top of their track if the weather looks to be getting Bad(*). This is fine until it gets really Bad and the cars get buried, the plough then can't see them... This is not good as the V plough (as opposed to the striaght blade) needs to be doing 20 to 30 mph through

18" or more lying snow so there is enough momentum trnsfered to the snow to fling it out of the way. Even then a few yards of a 3' drift will stop it.

Aye, when that happens the ploughs just keep driving around the loops, cycle time for here is about 20 mins. A foot or more can have built back up in that time.

bottom

My containers are empty they had red in for the generator. I was wondering last night if I ought to get one filled with kero "just in case" but sort of came to the conclusion that I monitor consumption and the weather well enough that it would never get used.

Number of customers off supply from a given fault is a major governing factor. I sometime wonder how long we'd be off if the 11 kV spur that feeds only us fell over/broke during a big storm that caused a lot of other damage. I can envisage them just pulling the fuseable links where it T's off the main line to isolate the fault to bring others back on supply, leaving us in the dark. Still with the genset life isn't too bad, perhaps refilling those 10 gallon drums with red would be a better idea. trouble is last time I looked the red pump at the gaarge was 96p/l, thats a tad pricey. With kero down at 32 p/l red ought to be about 50 p/l.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think it was about 1984 when we lived in rural Norfolk we (and the whole village of 1100) were cut off by a heavy snow fall for 4 days. Highways dug out one route in only for an HGV to jack knife in it, and become covered in drifting snow on day 5 cutting us off again for a further 3 days! The major contributor was that all 4 roads to the village had long sections 3 to 6 feet below the level of surrounding flat fields so easily filled with drifting snow.

No electricity for most of the time was not a major problem for us as I had a generator. Plus we used a solid fuel AGA and wood burning stove so heating, hot water and cooking was as normal. The generator was essential for water as we were on a private bore. Neighbours who relied on oil heating and electric cooking were not so lucky. No electricity meant no water (hot or cold), no heat, no cooking, little lighting.

Myself and two other Land Rover owners devised a route almost to the A47 across the fields where the snow had blown away. One last ditch prevented us getting to the road but another Land Rover club member ferried basic supplies including prescriptions from the town.

Here in Leyburn, North Yorkshire we live on the road leading to the highways salt and snow plough depot so the road is always cleared. Unfortunately our access to the road is via a 300m roadway shared with some retirement flats which highways do not clear and has quite a steep slope in. On at least 8 occasions in the past 11 years this have been impassable due to snow to all but foot traffic. After the first such winter I invested in an ex MOD 24inch

8hp Snapper snow blower...

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I'm not aware of any such colour coding, tbh. I'm just going to paint standard 10mm copper pipe with white metal primer and/or white rad enamel. Not only is the plastic-coated stuff expensive, it's also hard to come by.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom
[44 lines snipped]

4 days. Four days in the dark, surrounded by light pollution & distant streetlights. Four days with no telly, central heating, lighting, WHY. And when the bastards came and fixed it, it took about 10 minutes & the guy asked why we hadn't rung up and complained more. Next time, I shall be on the 'phone every hour.
Reply to
Huge

And purple for motorway fibre signal cables.

Not if you shop in the right places. A plastic sleeve will work a lot better than a coat of paint.

Reply to
Martin Brown

/I was more concerned about heat being conducted down the pipe to were the oil hasn't been drained and vaporising that. Wonkypedia has the flash point between 37 and 65 C which isn't very hot... /Q

Possible I spose but with the only oxygen being the end of the pipe where your blowlamp is and that would be the thing burning it... I can't see how it could go boom? If the pipe's underground then it would require a lot of heat to overcome the heating effect?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I did not have any problem when I soldered a 1/4" pipe. I suspect that it would be difficult to ignite any oil in the pipe because of lack of oxygen.

Reply to
Michael Chare

/heating effect? /Q

Doh

Heatsink effect

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Guess it depends on the width the ditch diagonal drive across would have been possible with center diff lock on. One wheel in free space at a time isn't a problem. Or no farmer with some railway sleeper size lumps of wood that could be borrowed? "Standard" sleeper is 8'

6" long 10" wide and 5" thick. Might the need four, one each side of the ditch to spread the load and two across on top.

If we were at the end of track I'd have something to clear it, maybe a "pre loved" back hoe/front loader of some sort as it would have other uses, lifting, moving, heavy things.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably not boom but as the oil vapourises it expands considerabled from the liquid to gas phase so there would be a supply vapourised oil to an ignition source and available oxygen. Might produce nothing more than a bit of colour in the gas flame but there is the possibilty of something a bit bigger.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's when you are glad of a genset...

Power goes here and the chances are I'll be on the phone reporting the outage before the automatics have logged it. It also helps that if the fault is further towards the village the linesmen have to come up to us to get a mobile signal, to agree the switching that is to be done with their control. So I wander out for a chat, find out what the fault is and a real estimate on how long we'll be off ... TBH ENW fault reporting and the guys fixing things are PDG.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would imagine it really depends on obtaining the optimum type and quality of paint. The plastic sleeving on the old pipework is peeling away badly, so it's not infallible either.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No. This one was wider than the length of my Land Rover, but had a foot bridge over it for a public path.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike