Heating in cold workshop

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

£7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And massive electricity bills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant. It does not take a big room to heat at 2.5KW, which is the equivalent cost if it was done with gas.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The point about this radiant heat is that it heats (instantly) what's in its path, not the whole room. It's ideal for a workshop where a user is in place most of the time.

In Spouse's case there's no room to be anywhere else!

I'd rather he were comfortable. No other form of heating has kept him comfortable in there. It's worth whatever it costs for his well-being.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It may well be considerably cheaper. You don't want to leave it on if you're going out. You don't need to heat the whole room. If you're willing to wear a coat, to keep the body warm, and have face and hands radiantly warmed, it can be dramatically cheaper, even if electricity is 3* the price of gas, you're using so much less energy. Not to mention of course that a gas radiant heater would be even cheaper.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Dunno. Those infra red electric heaters throw the heat a long way. And of course not many people have gas in their workshops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They had some of these in "InStore" (Formerly "Poundstretcher") for £7

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

You are talking through your arse.

Heat is heat. and 700Wis 700W.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. A 700 watt convector heater would likely go unnoticed in the average workshop unless you're sitting on it. A 700 watt radiant type will be felt to give out heat from some distance. Think the sun tends to work on this principle in the winter in this country...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds familiar.... :)

Follow ups are worth a look.... =)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Quite.

Quite.

But take up even more room if needing propane or butane (or being more expensive if using the little cartridges*) or needing a mains gas supply which there isn't in the workshop.

Mary

  • he's just ordered one of those for the tent. At long last he's learning sense ... but that would only be used for getting dressed, he's in the workshop (aka garage) for about six hours a day.
Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I did say that we'd talked about it before :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And you keep him in the tent for the other 18hrs a day? Blimey.

:-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

He keeps me actually, I thought everyone knew I was a kept woman :-)

As for the tent, we mostly only spend time in it in bed, it's always warm there.

Msry

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Cold workshop; been there done it for many years; good outdoor gear the best as it is also comfortable; helly hansen underwear, ron hill type leggings, fleecy shirt of some sort, fleece top, balaclava, fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks one thick one thin, walking boots or trainers, boiler suit, and body warmer jerkin on top. Radiant heat best. Oil filled electric rad is quite radiant over a wider area if you sit near it - it can warm your back, better if painted black (radiator not your back). Then dash back inside every half hour for a nice cup of tea.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Spouse has it better. I take his warm drinks out to him :-)

Which reminds me, it's time to put on the kettle for coffee and comfort food - oh blast, I didn't make any more biscuits, it will have to be drop scones ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Jacob wears;

type leggings, fleecy shirt of some sort, fleece top, balaclava, fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks one thick one thin, walking boots or trainers, boiler suit, and body warmer jerkin on top.

Reply to
Magician

If you use twice as much liquid in the batter as normal and add sultanas you will end up with Scottish style fruit crumpets.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've always found a good fan heater better than either

Reply to
Mike