heating from cooking oil

thoughts?

Reply to
misterroy

"... delighted researchers, who said it was proving as efficient as fossil fuel while emitting less than half as much carbon dioxide."

Now that's a neat trick, I guess they really mean "less than half as much

*fossil* carbon dioxide".
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Since I never throw away any oil, and only the waste fat from grilling - which is less than a cupful a week - I'd be darn cold.

I think this is only viable for restaurants, and only those with certain types of cooking.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember misterroy saying something like:

More bandwagon jumpers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Does that first line make sense ? and What do you do with your oil if you don't throw it away?

Reply to
fictitious

Yup, that set my bullshit detector ringing as well!

While not a bad idea, it strikes me there is only a limited amount of the stuff to go about about.

Not sure I follow the: "Andrew Robertson, of Clean Energy Consultancy, said: "It?s preferable to use biofuel as a heating fuel rather than for transport.

Erm, so what? Surely the point is you are displacing fossil carbon emissions wherever you use it?

Reply to
John Rumm

yes, but we can at least now use it for one more thing. OTOH I'd question the value of that one more thing, since currently its used in animal feed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Maybe they don't have huge chip pans full of it to get rid of?

Reply to
mogga

Environment Agency will step in and require the company to have a waste incineration permit.

Reply to
andyv

I produce several tonnes a year of "cooking oil". I don't have any spare for the central heating, nor to run my tractor. I doubt if even the most pikey house on the pikiest council estate in a pikey town produces the

1-2 tonnes of waste oil per year that would be needed to provide for central heating and DHW.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Its the thought of all those vehicles driving around smelling like kebab shops :-) Less smelly if it remains in one place.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The farm next door to us reprocesses oil on a commercial basis. Other than seeing the occasional sign written van arrive or leave, one is never usually made aware of this. However a couple of weeks back, I kept walking outside and smelling Chinese food - thinking hmmm, that smells nice, who has got a large kung po chicken! Eventually I realised they must have been reprocessing oil from a Chinese or similar, and the wind was in a different direction from normal.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes but if you use cooking oil at all but you "never throw it away" then what happens to it .That's what I was getting at ?

Reply to
fictitious

It would be better to use it for transport and nuclear electric for the heating. Just shows that these ecologist types really don't know what they are talking about.

Reply to
dennis

In ecological terms it's as useful as pissing in the wind.

I guess that it saves some money, but probably not much

tim

Reply to
tim.....

filter it and use it again.

A percentage of the oil is absorbed in the food so it all gets used eventually

tim

Reply to
tim.....

And adding need for more carbon energy intensive fertilisers to grow it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Question: How do you know you are filtering out the carcinogens that build up every time you (re)use it?

Answer: You don't.

.
Reply to
Bruce

Oh No......could never do that .I don't believe filtering does anything other than take the largest pieces of crap out of the oil. I mean,the regualr heating of the oil must degenerate it regardless of the filtering

Reply to
fictitious

Well indeed if you grow it specially. I don't think there is any point in growing bio-fuels[1] since there is always usually something more useful you can do with the land. As a way of using the waste oil however, then fair enough...

[1] With the possible exception of using algee to purify contaminated water, and making a diesel replacement from the resulting sludge.
Reply to
John Rumm