heating bill

Backing up my long held view that most of the observed savings from double glazing come from the reduction in draughts associated with improvements in weatherstripping - the only other motivation for having DG being the apathy related to painting/staining old window frames. 30 quid on a few rolls of weatherstrip and half a day with a stanley knife can give payback in literally weeks in a windy cold climate.

Reply to
Matt

That was my experince also.

I lived in a coldish single brick 1900 cottage for a long while. On the Fens.

I took it in hand, draughtproofed most of the exterior doors, and then laid hardboard over the suspended floor..instant rise in temp.

I bit of cork here on some walls tamed the worst of the condensation and a couple of coal fires kept it cosy.

Then the landlord decided that rather than repair the window frames which were fairly rotten, he would put DG in. Well it certainly helped with the draughts, but that was all.

With the single brick walls, there wasn't much difference in room temps on a non windy day. Classic case for drylining, but I moved...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've done the draughtproofing thing - slightly greased masking tape on one side of the window, bead of silicone down the other, close, leave 48 hours. Works well.

I'm actually strongly considering completely insulated shutters.

Currently the windows are in a slightly angled-out opening in 50cm walls.

I'm adding 10cm of rockwool to the walls. In most cases, next to the window, I could instead put 5cm of kingspan, with another 5cm bit of kingspan inside the wall, that can slide out in some manner, and completely seal the window opening.

I'm not sure exactly how this could best be done.

If I was to make my own DG units, they'd basically be of the externally pumped sort - supplied with external air, and basically in one bit with the windowframe.

Take a bit of window frame, rebate both sides, put aluminium tape over the inside, paint white, a little sealant, and job done.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Condensation isn't a problem it's a GOOD THING to have - if you have trad windows. They usually have some sort of gap at the cill or at the meeting rails in sashes - the condensation will drain down and OUT throught the gap: trad windows become passive de-humidifers. The Victorians new all about it and esp in public buildings you can find various systems for trapping and draining off condensation. Drip grooves and weepholes - sometimes elaborate brass installations, sometimes dead simple. Very likely to have been filled in and made useless by ignorant tradesmen of C20. The "De-Humidifier" was virtually unheard the advent of until the plastic DG and draught-sealed window - which make condensation into a serious problem.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom